Do you think there should be competency tests to enter kindergarten or should it be done by birthday cut off?

I am writing a bill for Debate class and I am proposing that to enter kindergarten that children be tested on competency/knowledge instead of their birthday. My son was extremely bored in kindergarten because he knew most of the information that was being covered. He was reading, doing math, and science on a 1st grade level, but because his birthday is in late October he was placed in kindergarten.
Just curious on your opinion. Please no bashing. Thank you ladies!!

momma2JD

Asked by momma2JD at 12:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2011 in

• I think that is a great topic for your class.

But I also think it is up to the parent to get the best education for their child possible. Our kids are like yours and were advanced readers and mathematicians, so we found a charter school that has ability groups for reading and math. Which means they are in groups for their abilities and actually learn at their pace, not at the lowest common denominators pace(which was what was happening in the "best" school in our district).

If you know your child is not flourishing in school, you need to remedy the situation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• If you base it on competency, would those 5 year olds who can't use scissors or count to 100 be denied placement in Kindergarten?

(Just a question about your theory!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Personally I think it should be done by competency,....but lets face it if they did it that way there would be allot of 8 y.o's in kindergarten
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Competency definitely! My oldest DD started reading at 3 yrs old, can tell the time, & can do simple math problems. BUT, because we live in TX & they have an age limit law (that a child must turn 5 before the school year starts in mid Aug to start Kindergarten) she started Pre-K this year. Her 5th birthday was on 9/30. I wish we could've tested her into kindergarten. Even though she loves her school & she developing social skills, she's going over stuff in school that she learned at age 3: letters, numbers, colors etc.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• My three year old could easily handle the academic side of kindergarten, but NOT the social aspect. Age is key.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• My Dr. tod me it's also about maturity as well as compentency so you have to look at both aspects not just the simple math etc. My sister was offered to skip a grade when she was a little older, but my Mother held her back, wanting her in with her class of her age, and handled it that way, she also said she didn't want to rush her, or pressure her. She became a well adjusted Registered Nurse, good grades, no pressure and with class of her same age.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Birthday cut off, it's not fair to children who don't get the kindergarden prep at home for whatever reason, lazy parents, busy parents, single parents, ill parents... or kids in foster care or their guardian is older.... there are lots of reasons for a child to not be at the average and at 5 years old it's not their fault. Sure people can get daycare/ preschool aide from the state but what if they make to much to qualify but can't afford it on their own? Maybe the parent/ guardian isn't book smart and can't help- we all know the first 5 are so important but the child is 5, not 15 and they don't know how to study or what to study and practice with out a leader like a kindergarden teacher. I've home schooled my nephews and DD since we can't afford any pre K prep and as fun as it is, what if we were all to busy to take the extra step? Comp. of a 5 year old seems more like discrimination, we should embrace these kids even more.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• i have other side
    daughter just made cut off for age, turned 4 in end of July
    she is a year and half behide her peers
    she does have IEP, with speech, ot, and special ed
    i was discouraged by school special ed (purse strings) women to NOT hold her back
    i figure when i feel she needs to repeat i will do so
    this year school (junior K) is only 2.5 hours
    i am not concerned if she can not even sing ABC song, let alone write, count, read etc
    she has autism, so i am seeing if she can handle 2.5 hours with out meltdown
    next year is 5K, longer day, 6 hour day, if she an handle-maybe let her do that and repeat 5k year after
    school district lady (purse strings-i call her) will not approve but it will be my opinion and the therapists that matter

one of the youngest for her class AND year and hald behide PLUS autism

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• To answer GoodyBrook: It would allow those who are not more advanced in knowledge or social skills to enter kindergarten, but those who are advanced in those areas would be allowed to go into the grade they test into.

When I was little, I intentionally failed a test to go to kindergarten, but then was placed into 1st grade reading, math and science since I was able to do those skills with no issues. Also, in the schools here, if your child shows high scores, they give them work in the next grade to help keep them from being bored and causing issues in the class, but not till the 3rd grade or higher.
    momma2JD

Comment by momma2JD (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

• DonnaPinitonya , you forgot... child has learning delays

love some of your reasons though- lazy parent, single parent, parent isn't book smart, busy parents, old parent
    LMAO, oh my
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2011

Next question in
One other party question ....

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
Cooking?