why do you believe

i dont know if i believe in God i use to but then i look around at the world and wonder if there was a God why is some many of His followers suffering. my mil loves God with all her heart yet it seems like for all her love He gives her nothing in return no blessings or relief from her pain. so i ask all you who believe in God why do you believe in Him even though he only lets you down evenutally NO BASHING EACH OTHER

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This may sounds awfully trite or generic, but bear with me. Jesus, believed by Christians to be God incarnate(and thusly perfect), suffered horribly while on Earth for the redemption of all of us who are imperfect. Your MIL is united very closely to Christ and God in her sufferings. Her reward here on Earth may be infrequent and small compared to the big heart and caring soul she has because no earthly blessing or relief would be adequate. Perhaps her suffering is redemptive entirely and something much better awaits her at her death.
    MagnaMeg

Answer by MagnaMeg at 5:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My God has never let me down.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Here are my thoughts on this. God created this world to be perfect, but gave Adam and Eve free will. The world was created with actions and reactions, and therefore whenever a person makes a decision there is some sort of reaction, either good or bad. Adam and Eve chose sin, they disobeyed God, this brought death and destruction into the world. The world we look around and see today is not how God intended it to be, it is what mankind has made it through their actions. God never wanted sin to be a part of this world, but without allowing us free will we would have been forced to love him, and what is love if it is forced upon you? It is not love at all. Free will is important to a true loving relationship with God, however, the down side of free will is that we can make wrong choices, and wrong choices bring consequences. We are the only ones to blame for the state of the world, God gave us choices, and we made them.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I believe in Jesus Christ. People do tend to suffer and always have and it isnt always God's job to fix every problem. We all have life lessons to learn when we come here and sometimes that is why it seems so many suffer when in fact there may be lessons that need to be learned. Alot of times its lessons in faith or patience etc. My God has never failed me although sometimes my faith has been tested and I wonder why things have happened. I still have faith though and believe in Jesus.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• God has never ever let me down. People have let me down. I have let myself down. the evil in this world hurts me, but God has never ever let me down.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I believe that God does exist. I believe everything on Earth is a test to see how much we do actually love and trust in God. God knows all and is just.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I can't say I believe in god. But even with everything bad, I do know that having strong faith in whatever religion you follow can help you get over it. It's actually scientifically tested and for some really seems to work... Your mind is your power... if you believe strong enough in something, it's likely to happen (i'm talking logical things, not things like making yourself fly). lol.Say you pray for more help finacially.. no it's not going to just plop into your lab, but if you believe enough in that pray your mind will subconsciously direct you in helping you get what you need... To some, that's Gods way of speaking.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Take the example of Job. He was a faithful one, yet many bad things happened to him. He lost his family, his friends, he suffered physical ailments, etc. He even became angry, rightfully so, since he knew he did nothing to "deserve" it. Turns out it was a test of sorts. Satan claimed that Job was faithful to God only because he had it so good, so God allowed Satan to try to prove him wrong. He was the one behind Job's hard times. It's a wonderful thing to be able to carry that faith right to the end and be rewarded. We may suffer too, but we have God's word, the Bible as an aid in helping us make it through.
    Anonymous

• It is human nature to want to believe in something greater than yourself. It helps takes the burden off you once in a while.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009