How can I get my 11 month old to start using his sippy cup? We've been trying for a while now.

He is teething so he bites on the spout.

katepalcorn

Asked by katepalcorn at 12:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, did you write this question for me? My son will be 1 on the 24th of this month, and that's what he does, too! Every now & then he'll get a sip, but I definitely wouldn't say that he's "drinking" out of a sippy cup at this point. I'll be keeping an eye on this question to see what suggestions people have! My cousin suggested trying one with a soft straw top-- she said that's how she got her kids started. I haven't been to the store yet, but I plan on going in the next couple of days to get one!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• what's his favorite beverage? i used apple juice with mine and that worked well. he wanted something else rather than water, so he kept trying to suck on his sippy. and another thing, i wanted him to quit bottles when he turned one, so i was very determined. after 2 days of not drinking milk, i won the battle.
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My son is 18 months old and still won't use one. He would if I held it up for him, but if he held it himself, he'd either chew on it or try sucking it up like a straw. So we've just been using the straw cups instead, and it's much less hassle. They make spill-proof ones if you're worried about that, or I like the Take 'n' Toss ones; it's no problem for them to chew on those straws, you don't have to take apart a whole bunch of pieces to wash, and they actually don't leak out of the straw hole (of course if they hold the cup upside down it will come out of the actual straw, but not where the straw goes into the lid, so if it just gets knocked over on the table, it's probably not going to spill).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My son who will soon be 8 months old finally is starting to use a sippy cup. He has NEVER had a bottle since he is nursing. I started offering sippy cups when he was 6 months, but i was not consistant enough at offering them to him. It was just easir to nurse. Just be consistent in offering the sippy. Try using a cup with a hard plastic spout if you have'nt already.
    Anonymous