Is it right for my stepdaughter to call me mommy?/

youngstep_87

Asked by youngstep_87 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• why wouldn't it be?

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you and she are both comfortable with it, then yes. It is a special thing to be called someones "mommy", and it is a gift she is giving you.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If your stepdaughter has been told to call  you mommy then this is wrong.  If she is calling you mommy on her own I see nothing wrong with it.  How old is your stepdaughter? Just make sure you never bash her mom.  To be honest, I would not be very pleased if my child called another woman mommy.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It depends. Is her Mom alive and if she is, how does she feel about it? she could call you something like Mommy_______ or mama_______. How does your husband feel and what about you?
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If her real mom is part of her life than no it's NOT okay! I would never want my baby calling another woman "mommy". If she doesn't have a mom and you are stepping in as her mom than I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If mom has a problem with it. No. If mom wants to make trouble over it legally, she can. It's called parental interference. You, as stepmom, are not allowed to usurp mom's right as a parent, which includes allowing your stepdaughter to call you mom. Mom can go after your husband for it if she's prone to that kind of thing, and he will get a reaming for allowing it. If that doesn't stop it, and mom pushes forward, it can affect his visitation rights.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Let the kid decide.....
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my step son calls me mama____(my name) and his mom doesnt like it at all but has accepted the fact that we do spend a lot of time together and he hears my son call me mommy but i never allowed him to call me mommy its always been mama hes 4 and can distiguish between me and mommy so its not that big of deal...as long as the child understand that your not her mother that your her step mom i dont see anythign wrong with it..besides step parents have just as big a role in a childs life as the bio parents do and if your hubby or wife says that being a step parent doesnt intitle you to decision rights tell them what i told my hubby if im not considered some sort of parent in this childs life then i want to be paid for watching someone elses child..lol it got their attention quick as well as i knew more about my step son then they did......
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Connorsmom22607 ~ Do you realize that kind of advice could land this mother with a restraining order against her that would force her to leave her own home when the stepdaugher came to visit? Not all moms are the pushovers that your husband's ex is. And mom will win over stepmom in court every time.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mom will not win over step mom in court EVERY time...it depends on the circumstances that brought them to court.

If you're "step" through divorce, you'd better look at the papers. My brother was recently divorced and it clearly states in the papers the kids are not allowed to call any other parent "mom" or "dad" or any derivative thereof. As mentioned by another poster...parental interference.

If mom is out of the picture (passed on), if there is nothing in the papers and the mom is okay with it or some other situation..it's okay as long as ALL involved are okay with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009