Is there a fluid that a birthing baby might swallow that will make it sick? not amniotic fluid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If the baby has it's first bowel movement in the womb, called meconium, and it swallows some of the meconium prior to or during the birthing process this can have negative effects.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Meconium is the baby's first bowel movement that if swallowed inside utero can cause lung issues.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• There's a chance that the baby can poop while in the birth canal or while you're still pregnant and ingest meconium (that's the poop). My daughter might have ingested just a little bit while I was pushing her out, but all she did was run a little fever. She's just fine now. But if a baby swallows a lot of it, yeah they can get sick.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• No. What you are thinking of is probably meconium. It' not fluid. It's basically the babies first bowel movement. If they have a bowel movement before they are born, and swallow it in utero, They can get very sick.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Thank you everyone who answered my question...that is exactly the word I was looking for.
    Thanks again. I will be sure to let my friend know to find out exactly what this new baby swallowed.
    Billybabetoo

Answer by Billybabetoo at 1:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• yes, it happened to my sister when she was born. they didnt bring her back to the room or even say anything to my parents. shes 20 now, and everything is fine.
    Anonymous