Who you let your ex-mother in law.....

My cousin is getting married and her ex-mother inlaw has already paid for her honeymoon. I told her that I would never allow that woman to pay for my honeymoon with my new husband. The ex-mother in law is getting quite involved in the wedding plans. I would never no matter how poor I am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Is her mom around? Maybe she has formed a relationship with her ex MIL that is in place of her mother. It does seem a bit odd but if it's done truly out of love and nothing more then I wouldn't think too much of it. Also, if her new soon to be hubby doesn't mind then there doesn't seem to be a problem. Again, still odd.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Does her ex-husband have anything to say about it?
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would tell the ex mother in law to enjoy the trip HERSELF or bring a companion, and tell your cousin to just make their OWN arrangements! The same with anything else the ex MIL has planned without their approval.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Maybe your cousins ex mother n is law is happy for your cousin.  To me it seems strange but I do not know what kind of relationship the two of them had while she was married to her son.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That is between your cousin and her ex mother in law, isn't it? I may be grasping at straws here, but it seems like you are just looking for validation of your disapproval. What is it that you disapprove of/ Is it the ex MIL personally/ Is she someone you dislike? Or is it the fact that she is an ex, and just principle? Maybe you are jealous you are not in on the plans and the MIL is? Maybe you feel she is choosing the ex MIL because of the financial support, and taking advantage?

If your cousin is happy with the arrangement, leave it. It is her wedding, not yours and she has the right to plan it however and with whomever she wants. Don't spoil her happy occasion out of spite or jealousy.
    muffaluma

Answer by muffaluma at 1:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't disapprove, I just find the whole thing to be very strange and was wondering if I was alone in my thinking. My cousin thinks its strange as well. I just like to run things by CM.
    Anonymous

• idkk i know im always gonna have a close relationship with my mother in law even if things dont work out for me and her son she'd always be there for me. idkk about payin for a honeymoom but im sure shed help me out money wise whenever i needed it
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It may be strange but I think it's totally possible. She must feel very close to your cousin for some reason and maybe really saw her as a daughter and just wants her to be happy. It's hard to really pass judgment not knowing anything about their history. Also, is the ExMIL a grandmother to her children? If she wants to give her these gifts, I say let her and consider herself very lucky that she cares that much.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 3:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i am still pretty close with my ex mother in law, hell she knows things before my mother does lol just because a marriage didnt work i dont think you need to write off family that has become your own family im still very close to my ex sister in law (my brothers ex wife not my exs sister although i still talk to her as well) it all depends how your relationship with them was before the split shoot my ex mother in law has says the only reason she doesnt completely trust my judgement is because i lose points because i was with her son
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 7:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2009