My 6 wk old son has gas pains, what can I eat to prevent this.. I breast feed only. I did not have this with my girl 2 years ago.. I could eat anything. I feel so sad for my son. there must be somthing I can do!!

What are the best foods I can eat that will prevent my son from getting gas pains. He is not colic, but just gets so fussy and sometimes crys after eating. He pulls is legs up and crys. then wants to drink again just for comfort not because he is hungry.... then his tummy is even more painful. He will not take a pacifier.. I have tryed so many kinds, I wish I could train him to take it.

Dawn1000

Asked by Dawn1000 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SOmetimes eating to mny vegies can cause gas. Also avoid to much meat and spicy food. If that doesn't work mylocn gas drops work really well. And of course try the bicycle motion gently with his legs
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 1:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Have you tried giving him gripe water? It's all natural and it worked the best for my son. I'm not sure how much of what you eat actually has an effect on him. You could try cutting down on Dairy for awhile. That might help.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Keep a food journal, and note when he feeds. You should be able to pinpoint certain trigger foods within a week.
    muffaluma

Answer by muffaluma at 1:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing with my 6 wk old daughter. Definitely stay away from things that give you gas. I was told to stay away from cabbage, beans, brocoli...I don't eat anything that is spicy. I don't eat tomatoe, or sauce. and I try to stay away from anything fried. It limits what you can eat, but in the end its better for your baby, and yourself! My LO always has gas though, and has since she was born, but now she isn't having bowel movements. :( just be careful of that, and keep an eye on the dirty diapers!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 1:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Get some papaya... you can buy the enzymes in tablets at the health food store. Best thing...ever!!!
    Otherwise alter your diet one category at a time for at least one week (I would start with dairy) and see if that helps. Could be a food allergy?

If you really feel like it is just gas I would do the papaya. It is great for digestion and completely natural.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mylcan gas drops work really well too...I didn't see anyone mention those here.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i breastfed my son and i ate mexican food and my son had gas for hours that day i felt so bad for him so i started stayong away from spicy food and onions
    Anonymous

• get him some simethecone drops and find out the dose for his age/weight.All it is is a natural gad reliever,nothing else and it will help him so much.Some babies are just gassy no matter what they eat,tho the food definantly can make it worse.Another food to limit/avoid is garlic.it can make milk taste funny.try the drops tho because if u limit too much of your varied diet,he may not get used to those foods.Veggies are so important for developement, unfortunantly they do cause gas.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Most babies are not affected by what mom eats.  See "My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?" at http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

It is quite common for mom to have an oversupply of milk that can cause baby to get too much foremilk and cause the fussy/gassy behavior.  Make sure you allow baby to nurse for as long as he likes on the first breast before offering the other breast, and avoid pumping.  Lots more info at http://llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my daughter was like this when she was young, but has since grown out of it. Pay attention to what you eat right before you nurse, mine was anything tomatoey, like pizza, lasagna, etc. She is 6 months now and fine, so just pay attention
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009