Potty training child who poops at odd times

My daughter poops at weird times. Always during a nap or early morning before I can open the door.

I am very freaked out to try to train her as I am afraid she is going to be smearing it everywhere. She has a sensory disorder and is a seeker. For example she already smears boogers all over her wall, things like that.

My husband is getting on me to do it since I am pregnant again, but I am freaked.

My son has a type of autism and was potty trained later due to his own issues. He did smear poop a few times too, and had an issue with pooping in his pants.

I don't feel ready to go there again because she never poops at normal times. She also poops at least 2 times a day. Sometimes 3. My son use to poop 4 times a day so it was even scarier...LOL

She also has zero interest, but I have stuck her on the toilet a few times before baths etc..nothing has happened.

Anyone have a kid who pooped at weird t

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No one. I swear it's a real question...

Am I the only who has a kid who poops during naptime or early in the morning ? I just know I go in there and she will be sleeping with a horrible smelling poop in her diaper. So I am just concerned how to potty train when this is what I am working with.
    Anonymous

• Ok my son has asbergers syndrom and he wasn't potty trained till four. My daughter pretty much potty trained herself at two. My youngest it three and here is what I did to get him trained before his third b day, we introduced the concept and a potty chair. After a few weeks I had him trying to go. Then I got a timer and set it for every thirty mins. The timer would ding and then it was potty time. If she goes in the am then try getting up before she does and do am potty times
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Have you tried taking her to the bathroom with you when you go?? My mom did that with me and i've done that with my daughter. She is 2 1/2 and is more or less potty trained. She still has accidents mostly poop and once in awhile pees her pants but taking her in with me has seemed to help. She may not go right a way but maybe that will get her interested in going.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 9:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had some issues with my oldest as well. We did the whole potty seat, books in the bathroom, and setting a timer for 30 mins. The trick here is to find a set routine, and STICK with it!! The timer is great because that way NOBODY forgets (Daddy always had a problem here)! It took us a few months with some accidents, but she is wearing panties since Sept (pre-school started) and is now wearing them to bed for the last 4 nights and NO accidents. I can understand how you might be worried about her sleeping in a poopy pull-up or underwear or whatever, and yeah its nasty, but its not going to hurt her! The other thing is some kids just don't want to experience the change and you just need to put the underwear on them. I had to do that for a few weeks too, and I think thats what finally broke the straw for her! She HATED having an accident. Good luck!
    abpfeffer2002

Answer by abpfeffer2002 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009