how can i get my 2 year old son to give me the same respect as he gives his dad

i'm a stay at home mom.have been since 2006.anyway,he dosen't really respect me.what can i do,because i think that i'm a pretty good mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I can tell you is #1, you have to demand respect. He will respect you if you make him. If you call his name and he says "what" you say "that is not how you will answer me, you will say yes or yes ma'am". And #2, you have to give respect in order to get it. I know it seems silly to give respect to a 2 year old, but he will act toward you the way you act toward him. I hope this helps.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• he's 2 and going thru the terrible 2's,so right now don't worry about anything but making it though each day without grey hair.He probably doesn't even know what resprect is, much less give it. His Dads voice is deeper and that does make a difference in how he reacts but it has nothing to do with respect.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That's pretty normal. You are the one who is there all the time. Your son is confident in the fact that he can act up with you, and you will still love him. He loves his dad, and he knows his dad loves him. He's just not as sure about where his boundries are with dad.

Stay consistant on where your boundries are, and the consequences for his actions, and he'll get it.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When your child acts up do you let the behavior slide without being reprimanded? if you do the is an easy way to lose respect. When he won't do what you ask simply tell him that he won't get what he wants without the magic words. Please, Thank you, Sorry, and Excuse me. Tell his dad that you want his help in teaching your child to respect his mother because you are the one who gave the boy life in the first place. By teaching your two year old respect for women now, he will have a strong foundation in the future. Good luck with this. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009