What does everyone think of the gardasil vaccination now? I've heard some negative things about it lately & am questioning people about it.

My daughter is due for her 12 yr. old annual check-up this month & I was concerned about this vaccination. Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated!

LKornak

Asked by LKornak at 2:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have heard some negative and positive things about it. I always vaccinate my children because I think its better to be safe then sorry. I had a friend who came up with HPV and shes all for anything to stop that from happening to anyone else. I would look up as much as possible & just question you dr about some of the things that concern you. You can always hold off on the vaccination until shes older.

Answer by gemgem at 2:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wouldnt put that in my child for any amount of money!!! It hasnt been on the market long enough for them to know all the side effects. Besides it only protects from 3-4 types of cerivcal cancer and if I am remembering correctly there are 15 different ones. Definantly encourage you to do a TON of research on it and envolve your daughter because it is her body and life she should be able to put in her two cents as well and respect her decision either way she wants to choose.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First of all in general I am a vaccinating woman, mom and grandma. I am also a nurse. However, I am suspicious of any drug/vaccine on the market less than 5 yrs. Any drug of any kind has risks. At this time I am not willing to endorse Gardasil. There are some serious reports of bad reactions that concern me. Ipersonally would make sure my daughter understands what is happening to her body, about menstruation and about sex. Hopefully she will choose not to have it...but she needs to be told about how to protect herself in the event she chooses to make a different decison.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• A little over 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with HPV. I didn't know what it was or anything except it had something to do with sex and I was mortified. Cancer runs real big in my family too, so when I found out that it causes cervical cancer, I cried for hours while I read up on the facts. Two months ago, I had pre-cancerous cells removed from my cervix and the doctor said they were so dark he wasn't sure if he should tell me I was fine or not until the test came back. Longest 2 weeks of my life. If there was any way I could protect my daughter from that I definatly think its a good thing.
    medmaster2006

Answer by medmaster2006 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't do that to my daughter for the life of me, but then again, I waited to vaccinate my 11 yr old with her baby vaccines when she was 4 before she started school. I just would rather my children's body develop a immunity to what they need to fight off before I pump a bunch of chemicals into their body.
    Tanya
    vptanya

Answer by vptanya at 11:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The jury appears to still be out on this one! Your pediatrician should have a handout of information about this vaccine. At my ten year olds checkup, the doctor gave us information. Most mom's I talk to are still very apprehensive about having their daughter get the vaccine until more is known about it!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My doctor is very high on it, but I've waited.
    I have discussed it with my DD, and she agreed to get it, but then I started hearing about bad side effects, and decided to wait. She's only 11, and I think we can wait 2 more years to see how people react to it first.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My older daughter was offered it at school last year (she was 13). We talked it over, including the fact that we have a family history of cervical cancer and what her aunt went through with stage 2 CC. She elected to have the shots as protection given the family history. She said they were uncomfortable for about a day with each shot but nothing worse than that. She is asthmatic and tends to react quite badly health-wise but had no trouble at all with the shots.

My younger daughter will be offered the shots this year. Again we have talked it over and she elected, like her sister, to have the minor inconvenience of a shot as protection against something far worse.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 8:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I turned 30 in September. I have always been VERY healthy, went for anual gyno visit in October, they called 2days later said pap was abnormal, weeks of biopsies, waiting for results, then a hysterectomy a week before Christmas due to cervical, uterine, and ovarian cancer. It came out of nowhere and I had & am still having a very hard time dealing with it. After all this started I too was very uneasy about the vaccine, but after talking to several drs , decided definately would do. She had her 1st dose in Nov. I can't bear the thought of her suffering like I have. When I was in school, actually until the vaccine came out i had never heard of HPV. I think that the schools need to really stress the dangers of it in the sex ed classes, especially since it can take SEVERAL YEARS to show up, and when it does, the damage it already done. Please spare your daughters, get them the shots.
    RICKI929

Answer by RICKI929 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I swear i don't understand the big deal. It's a CURE FOR CANCER!!! And even though it only cures 3-4 types, it cures the types that cause MOST cervical cancers. And all those women who wait to get vaccines for their kids, i don't understand you either. Your body DOES NOT have the ability to resist diseases like Polio, Hepatitis, Measles, Mumps, etc. America has virtually wiped Polio out. But if more moms decided to "wait", it could start coming back. And thousands of people died because of that one disease. I don't know what the side effects of Gardisil are but one side effect of cervical cancer is DEATH!!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2009