Have you had/do you have ARM acne?

For several years now, I have had acne on my upper arms. It's not like my skin is incredibly oily there or anything. I don't have an acne problem anywhere else (occasional small breakouts on my face when I eat unhealthily).

Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can get rid of it? I can't help but pick at it (a nervous habit) and I'm sick of not being able to go out in public with short sleeves...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Health

• You mean on the outside - its just bumpy..its not really like spots like pussy ones but really little bumps?

If so I had that.

The only thing that changed it - diet.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you are referring to the little red and sometimes white bumps, then it actually isn't acne. I can't remember what it is called but if you go to the doctor they can prescribe you a cream. This helped some along with keeping it moisturized at least twice a day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i used to have that problem when i was a young teen. Hated it so much. It has to do with a vit D deficiancy, is what my doc said and that I needed to expose my arms to more natural light cause taking a supplement wouldnt fix it....Funny how the thing you dont want to do (show your upper arms) is the thing that will make it go away
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I started getting that when I got pregnant and it never went away. My doc told me to use Cetaphil soap. (It comes in a pump bottle) She said that it is just dermatitis caused by bacteria under the skin. You could also try not using scented lotions or soaps.
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 3:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Keratosis pilaris. Both my son and I have it. Check out this website and you can tell if it is what you have. The dr will prescribe some lotion with salicylic acid and may tell you to use cetaphyl soap like the post above said. http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/keratosisPilaris.htm
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009