i have a 1 year old boy .. is it to early to start potty trainig him?

DJrMommie07

Asked by DJrMommie07 at 3:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son turns 1 on the 24th I am just wondering myself when the best time to get him started would be
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 4:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Although you can start potty training him any time you want to, most people don't until the child has the ability to understand what your teaching him. Otherwise your really training yourself by watching his cues. If you see that certain "look" you will run him to the potty and sit him down. Yes you will eventually get him going, but it won't be because he has learned to do it on his own, its because you have trained yourself when he needs to go. By age two or two and a half he will be ready to start telling you that hew needs to go, and actually go into the bathroom and sit down and start training. Good luck!
    1974blueeyes

Answer by 1974blueeyes at 5:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You know....the best time to start is when they begin to tell you that they have a dirty diaper. They have to be able to recognize that they have to go or what it is. Until then, I personally would not waste the energy. No need to rush it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Maybe, maybe not. It has nothing to do with his age... only with "is he ready or not".

Does he show half of the readiness signs? If so, you'll probably be OK. If not, you'll be pulling out your hair and will actually take longer than if you wait.

Don't know what the readiness signs are? Get a good potty training book (I like "The No-Cry Potty Training Solution") or check out BabyCenter.com.

Put your own time table aside. Try to ignore the pressure of your parents and other moms. Listen to your child and you'll have much better luck.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I know my 1 yr old is showing NO interest except throwing stuff in the potty. I'm not going to start until he does. My other boys pottytrained from 2-3, so I'm going to plan on buying diapers for another year or more!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I think 1 year seems a bit early. My twin girls are 15 months, and I'm starting to use the terms w/ them. "Do you have poo poo in your diaper?' They've started saying no, which is showing me they understand a little.
    wink6877

Answer by wink6877 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008