Going on vacation while breasfeeding but without baby?

So my husband and I are planning a 4 day vacation without kids in July. My son will be 9 months old and I will still be breastfeeding. I am planning on pumping while I am gone but my concern is if he will still want to nurse when I get back?

alynn77

Asked by alynn77 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would be more concerned w/him adapting to a bottle while u are gone?have you fed him from a bottle to make sure he is usedto/knows how to do it?If you breast feed and bottle feed your milk,he will go right back to the breast when u get home.Have a great lil vacation mom! i am sure u deserve it!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Hopefully he will still nurse. He may develop a nipple preference. At his age I would use a cup.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's very doable. The pumping is really the biggest concern. At nine months, he can use a cup.

I traveled several times for longer periods and had NO trouble upon my return...it was as if I'd never left.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• What is he going to be drinking when you are gone? Because if it's breastmilk, you need to realize you have a LOT of pumping to do before you leave...I mean, for four days, you'll need like 120 oz.
    Anonymous

• Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. Luckily my son does take a bottle whenever I am out for the day...so it isn't a stranger to him. I feel more confident about my trip now!
    alynn77

Answer by alynn77 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009