When should I start giving baby cereal to my baby?

I breastfeed him. He is 4 month 2 weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can start now or ask your pediatrician. 4-6 months is normally the age range to start on cereal and baby solids.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i started when my son was 4 months old.. it 's good to start now..
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Most doctors will say 4 months, but if you are breastfeeding, you could wait as long as 6 months. As your pediatrician before doing anything new.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Breastfeeding??? I would wait until 6 months. Once you begin giving it your milk production will drop slightly. I would keep the virgin gut for 6 months to be sure baby is ready.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I started giving my daughter cereal at 4months. Start out giving him cereal in the morning and at night and make it kind of runny and decrease the liquid every 3 days or so till is thick
    MiasMommy6908

Answer by MiasMommy6908 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date. All of the leading health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months). Do not give your baby anything but breastmilk for the first 6 months.  For information on all of the latest research go to http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• No sooner than six months for solids. And when you start, try mashed banana or avocado instead. Infant cereal is junk...there's more nutrition in the cardboard box.

When you start, nurse first, solids after. The breastmilk remains the "real" food all the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• talk to your pedi, they might say it is okay to start. My son is formula fed and I tried cereal at 4 months. It made him sick though so I held off for a month. I give it to him every once in awhile but I don't plan on giving anything else till next month
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• what gdiamante said!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Anytime between 4 and 6 months. BUT you must make sure that it is really runny the first time becuase they are not used to swallowing. Just add a little at a time in your BM or formula.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009