• In the Spotlight:

How do I handle the overload of clothes?

I have 3 girls ages 5, 3 and 1 1/2. Needless to say we have plenty of girls clothes and I have gotten rid of some of them, but I am on the fence if I want another child. If so it would be in another year or so. I know the possibility is there that it could be a boy, but still. Should I hold on to all these clothes as my youngest grows out of them or should I give them away or sell them? My house looks like a warehouse for Baby's R Us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would box them up...thats what I'm doing with ALL DD's stuff, clothes, toys, ect. It never hurts for just in case...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you are thinking about having a future child save them. If it's boy then have a yard sale and what you don't sell just donate them.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I get rid of everything when they grow out of them. I dont like to sit and wonder about the what ifs. Life is always changing and if and when you have another child you can always buy new stuff.

Answer by gemgem at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I just did the same thing. i spent like 3 days oragn our house and getting my kids clothes in order. Needless to say my house is a wreck again. But the clothes situation Is working out!!!!!! But I gave clothes away for free on craigslist to ppl who need them. I dont give to good will cuz, here they are rude and over priced. I even giv clothes to my kids school...... for their closet for kids. But Id say if there nice clothes and u need the money try to make a buck if not give away, Dont save clothes for too long..... its a nightmare. Styles are all changing anyway. u dont wanna be like a pack rat... lol
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you have room,store them, if not do u know someone who has a basement/garage who would let you borrow some space? Money is tight right now so it makes sense if u are planning on more kids to keep it until u make that decision.After you are finished w/the baby dance you can have a huge sale and/or donate it.So many mom's out there cannot afford to spend $100's of dollars on clothing that will get so little wear so you'd be helping other moms.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When my 2nd son was 2 my sis had a friend who was having a boy and wanted my old clothes. My husband and I were not planning on anymore kids- abd I really did not want to or have enough room to hang onto all of that stuff. I went and sorted thru all my baby clothes, and I put most of them in the bag for her. I did pick out afew outfits that I really liked and I saved them. Good thing I did- as 6yr later our 3rd was born. Now with #3's clothes I sort them into 2 piles - donate and sell. A neighbor of my mom's ususally buys up alot of my son's outgrown clothes for his grandson.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My children are eleven, five, and two. I have saved a good portion of their clothing because we are open to having a large family and plan on reusing what we can.

Anyways, what I do is:
    *divide the clothes by gender: boys, girls, unisex
    *divide the clothes by sizes: infants, toddlers, childrens
    *divide the clothes into three categories: keep, consign, donate

What I have ended up with is around six medium/large boxes in my attic: boys' infants, boys' toddlers, boys' childrens, girls' infants, girls' toddlers, girls' childrens, and..the unisex stuff always stays out, there is not too much of that.

Not too many boxes, not too much storage space, everything labelled and organized, and all ready to go when a new baby comes or a child hits a certain stage.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 3:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would keep them. I made the mistake of getting rid of my older boys clothes, then once I had gotten rid of the last of them I got pregnant again and found out it was a boy.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I keep the ones I love, and that are in good enough condition to get at least another kid's wear out of. I have bins with lids that I bought that are labeled by size, and I rotate them, according to what my son is wearing now. As things get too small, I toss them into the previous bin. I stick things into the bins according to when they actually fit (since 3-6 months isn't the same to everyone). I know we're planning to have more kids, though. You can always give them away later, should you decide not to have more kids, but it's hard to get them back. This is coming from the uber non-packrat, BTW.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009