one year old pitbull with abandonment issues.

ok so i have had this pit sence the day hes was born. hes turns 1 this year. when i lived by myself i had trained this dog to go into a cage when i left and when went to bed. hes never had a problem with it until got with my fiance and we moved. now we lived in a 2 bedroom house and he has his own bedroom i thought it would be better. at first i was putting him in the cage when i left, untill i started coming home to him dragging things into his cage and ripping them into pieces. i start taking things out of his room so hes couldnt tear anything up. then hes started feeling his cage with his own feces. so i took the dog to my uncle for a weekend brought him back and started letting him sleep in the bed. and go with me when i leave. well my fiances b-day was jan1 we went out to eat and took the dog up to my fathers house,in the garage. when we came back to get him and he had destroyed my dads garage. What can i Do?

Wytegirl

Asked by Wytegirl at 3:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pets

• We have boxers that have the same issues AND we have a boxer/english bulldog mix. They do NOT like to be alone. It is difficult to have a dog like that if you cant spend a ton of time with them. They are "people dogs". You could try having a TV or radio on for him while he is gone. I know it sounds silly but it just might work! It helped us! Also, get him some good chew toys and maybe some pig ears/rawhide bones! Good Luck!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 3:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i have a rott/yellow lab and she still does that! i agree wiht prev post and if you come up with something let me know lol! i wish she wasnt so anxious
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would go back to the way it was. Put him in his kennel when unattended. He is still a puppy and like a child he can't be trusted. I wouldn't take him everywhere, except the places that are for him like park, play dates, and such.Otherwise he may freak when he is left home. He needs consistency. Even if his room is empty he can still tear up woodwork, window sills, and doors. If he gets used to his kennel again it will feel like his safe place that's only his.Also put his chew toys in his kennel for something to do.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 6:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Being a pup he needs reassurance that he has consistency with his training about the crate, and being left alone.Not sure what your exercising program is with him, but would start walking or roller blading with him 3x days to wear him out. Lots of attention with chew toys and ball playing. They need to burn off that frustration he has built up. Just like children they get used to a routine and need to stick to it. The guidance is coming from you, so try keeping a routine that's good for him. Put him in the crate and go out side. Come back in after1 5 min and take him out. Lots of praise.each  time you do this increase the time you leave and come back. Treats for being good is a reward, or a walk out side. Keep this up till he is comfortable about you coming and going. It may take some time but you need to reteach him it will be ok. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• 1 its freezing out side i live on a lake.
    2 you put my dog in his cage and hes wines like a baby and barkes until he cant breath.
    3 people come over and hes jumps even if u were only gone a min.
    4 if you give him a toy then everything in the house is a toy he ripped a whole piece of wood trim off the wall.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 7:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You should keep h im in the crate while you're not home or sleeping. That's what we had to do for a long time with our pit and bulldog. When we started leaving them out (10 mins at a time or so to run down the street) we'd make sure to leave kong balls with treats (to keep them busy) and large bones for them to gnaw on. It worked. Eventually we would leave them out longer and praise them when we came home to the house looking the way we left it. They no longer need the cage when we leave but they ARE confined to the basement area when we leave so we can turn on the security alarm with motion detector. Otherwise they're big and will set it off and the police will come, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mine got to the point where she needs to be on anti-anxiety medication. So, you might want to discuss the issue with your vet. We switched our vet after well (the vet she liked decided to shoot someone over a temple and well yeah we had no choice), so the vet told us to pick up these pills from Petco and give her one before coming in. I feel so bad for her because without the meds, we leave and wow. A few things really stick out in my head. One time she got herself to the point of convulsions. Another time she scratched herself raw. The last time before she got medication she cut herself up trying to get out of the crate that she had tipped over. Like Sassaboo was exactly like your dog and medication was the last resort :-(
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• you should watch the dog whisperer or apply to be on the show. i also live on a lake so i know what you mean about it being freezing..i also have a pit, and she HATES being outside but thats becuase its the way i raised her..i also take my dog everywhere i go if i can. i havent dealt with seperation issues so theres not much advice i can give you..just try to go back to before you moved in with your fiance.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009