Hospice: What do I do

My mother just recently died and after going through her things we realize there are some valuable items missing and some money missing. My mother was very organized and she showed us where these items of sentemental value were, but now they are gone. We are very sure that one of the hospice nurses stole the items and money. Has anyone heard of this happening and what can be done?

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 3:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• File a police report and report them stolen & press charges.

Answer by gemgem at 3:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Oh that is low. Yes report it to the police. Maybe the hospice nurses in question have done this to other families as well. Sad because hospice is a good organization but they can have problems just like any other organizations.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First, I would contact the company to see who all had access to the home. And to see what there policies are when such a claim is made. I would also want to know who all had access to the home other than the nurses-I have never heard of this and I think that companies have to have insurance for such situations-I could be wrong though. I would be making some calls.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My grandmother had a few issues with the hospice that came into the home when my grandfather went through his final stage of cancer. Call them, file a report and contact the better business bureau as well as send a letter of concern to the senior center in her community. People contact hospices through referrals. If you are certain something is suspicious, get the word out so they do not take advantage of others.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• oh yea report this a.s.a.p things like this happen all the time...do you know the nurses names that were taking care of her?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That is so awful! No wonder my grandma refuses to leave her home for a nursing home! Please call the law....get your ducks in a row...so to speak! Yes...get the word out!!
    Anonymous

• Go to the executive director of the hospice organization that provided services. Also, make a police report if you really feel that the nurses took those items. I worked for a hospice organization and I know personally that not a single person I ever worked with would have ever done anything like that. I'm not saying that a nurse didn't take those items, but the police will most likely tell you this as well: it is more likely a family member or trusted friend. Also sometimes paid caregivers are the ones, if it is not a family member or a friend, who were the ones taking items. I can't speak for all hospices out there but it isn't usually very likely.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• cont..Again, in my experience, when some time passes, it usually is a family member. I hate to say that but it usually is how it turns out. I would be looking at those in your family who knew where the items were kept. Also it is unlikely that it was more than one nurse. One nurse, CNA, social worker, ect... but not more than one. So if you really feel this way then make a police report. Then have them do a polygraph on all the family members who have passed through. My guess is that someone won't be passing.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I can guarantee that it is not a family member. The only family members that were at the house were myself, my sister, and my father. All other family members are living in another country. She had hospice in her home, the nurses would come to visit once a week and toward the end there was a nurses assistant that would come and provide help with bathing. Whenever there were people visiting there were many people around that would have noticed it. The only time that the room was left unattended with someone visiting was when the nurses aid would come to help with the baths.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 8:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Did your mom have any dementia illness?
    Anonymous