swearing

my 7 yr old wont stop saying bad words help what should I do? he says every bad word under the sun. I'm so tired of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• How do you recat to it when he does it? I f you are reacting alot, he might just be doing it to get attention. I would suggest taking away one privelage for every swear hae says. He says one swear and you take away his TV privelages for the day, another swear, take his toy privelages away etc... till he's left with nothing to do but think about what he is doing wrong. You can also tell him that if people outside the home hear him saying things like that they are proably going to think you are a bad Mother (I hate narrow minded people) and how does it make him feel to know people are going to think that way about you.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 3:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ignore him. He's looking for a reaction and he's getting it! He knows you don't like it. If you have a w/e attitude about it, that makes it no fun for him anymore.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Um don't ignore it. Your his mom. So be his mom. Discipline him!!!! And where is he hearing these words from?? IF it's you or his dad then you both need to discipline yourselves and quit saying these words too! :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you have already tried to give him substitutes, like fudge try funnier ones like "oh monkey snot". Or just ignore it, also and I say this because I usually have a mouth like a trucker, listen to what you are saying, he could be repeating. Oh another thing we did that was successful when my son was that age was to tell him that he could say anything he wanted in his bedroom with the door shut as long as we could not hear it. Doesn't stop his using the words, but at least you can't hear them anymore.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Sometimes we say a word that we shouldnt I tell the kids, oh bad mommy gets a time out for saying bad words,and I've been teaching them to use silly words,it works until one of the kids starts fighting, then its bad words from hell and back...I really need some suggestions on some discipline or corrections that will work. Please give me some ideas. Thanks..
    Anonymous

• Con't...You could also give a swear jar. For every swear he owes you a dollar ammount (if you do allowance) if you don't do allowance, have him put something he really likes in the jar every time. He'll get it after a while. At that age they like to see how far they can push us. The sooner he learns it's not very far the sooner he will stop. Good luck hon.
    happyathomemum

• Thanks I will see if this works, usually what I do is tell him we dont need to use bad words to express how upset we are, and that swearing is not allowed period. I will try what you suggested. Thank You sooo Much

How do you recat to it when he does it? I f you are reacting alot, he might just be doing it to get attention. I would suggest taking away one privelage for every swear hae says. He says one swear and you take away his TV privelages for the day, another swear, take his toy privelages away etc... till he's left with nothing to do but think about what he is doing wrong. You can also tell him that if people outside the home hear him saying things like that they are proably going to think you are a bad Mother (I hate narrow minded people) and how does it make him feel to know people are going to think that way about you.
    Anonymous

• krazyash023: With all due respect, I have used this with my children and found it to be very effective. I have 3 kids who are respectful and do not swear. Making a big deal out of a word (swear words are just words afterall - it is us who puts a meaning to them!) then it entices them to say them more. If it's not a big deal it loses its appeal.

Please don't infere that I am not being a mother to my children just because you think another approach is better. Thanks.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009