How long...

did your new born sleep with you in your bed?? I just brought her home last night. So I know its kinda a long shot question. And I know its probably a bad habit im forming but it was the only way I could get her to go to sleep. How did you get your baby to get used to sleeping alone in there crib!?!? Thanks mommies!!

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it for a month, then she moved to a cradle next to my bed, and then at 3 months she moved to her own crib.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I co-sleep with my daughter. I have on and off since she was born. Look for co-sleeping groups on here to learn more. I used an armsreach cosleeper, which was wonderful. When my baby woke to feed, I brought her into bed with me and sometimes fell asleep like that. Now she sleeps with me when she doesn't want to sleep alone. There are some safety issues, never put your baby near the edge of the bed. I used a bed rail. Never sleep with your baby if you are on drugs or alchol or too exhausted to be stirred easily. Never let another toddler or child sleep in bed with you. If you are obese, be cautious as well. I only used a small pillow no where near the vicinity of the baby and a thin blanket that I kept on my side. Don't cover your baby with your blanket until she's older and watch your bedding. Please let me know if you have other ?'s.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 3:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Not a bad habit at all! It is actually really good for your baby. Make sure that your bed is safe for her. I kept my babies in bed with me until they were no longer nursing during the night. To see a collection of research based articles, FAQs and guidelines for healthy infant sleep go to http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html

Also see "Sharing Sleep with Babies: The Benefits of Safe Nighttime Slumbers" http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec07p244.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's NOT a bad habit at all. It's better for both of you.

We co-slept for eight months. There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed...he doesn't recommend it till the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mine went into the crib the first night....

There's nothing really wrong with co-sleeping...if that's what you chose to do...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My daughter has never slept in our bed. She loves her crib =] So I'll never have to try to get her out of ours.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my son slept with me till he was about 5 months, then i put the crib beside my bed so if he woke up he could see me and know i was around. Luckly i havent had any problems at all, he likes it.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i LOVED the co sleeper. I put her in her OWN space, but i could still see her, reach out and touch her, and she was still on the same level with me, but in her own space.

i think she was about 3 months old when i started putting her in her crib. She's a wonderful sleeper. She starts rubbing those eyes and reaches for her dad, and he takes her and puts her in bed and she sits in bed and 'reads' until she falls asleep. (yeah, i got lucky, but i deserve it after all the colic dammit. lol)
    Anonymous

• When we first came home from the hospital i didn't want my baby to get in the habit of sleeping with me but I had trouble getting her to sleep on her own. Swaddling helped. She had prolems with reflux and the dr recommended that i let her sleep in her car seat so she was reclining instead of laying flat and that is actually how she slept the best. I think its because she's more surrounded like when she is being held and in the crib there is alot of open space when they are used to the cramped quarters of the womb.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When she was just born she was in a bassinet next to our bed. Now she's in our bed. She's 4 months. I love the co-sleeping. She's sleeping through the nite and if she does wake up, it's so much easier to feed her. I just didn't want to do it when she was that little.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009