When to transition to a bed from crib? My 19 mo. old daughter is alreadt trying to climb over. Luckily I have a video camera and catch her before she gets all the way over. Is 19 mos. too early or is safer better than later?

crib to bed

deniselvt

Asked by deniselvt at 3:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom suggested to me (when my son was small) to transition to a bed when the kid starts going over the rail... you can put a safety rail on the bed to keep them from rolling out.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 4:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It really depends on how likely she is to stop napping and sleeping and to start roaming the house instead.
    If you think you will be in for many battles, try a crib tent.
    If you think she will happily go down for her naps and stay put in the middle of the night, put her in a bed.
    Like so many other things, this is not age based. There is no "right" age. Only what works for you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mine were in regular beds at 15 months...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I moved my son to his toddler bed at 12 months cause he was climbing over. We put the toddler bed against the wall and then put up one of those nets on the other side. for the first few weeks we would have to go in there after he fell asleep and put him back in his bed but now for the most part he goes to sleep in his bed for the night. We used a baby gate in the door way so that we could still hear him easliy but he was contained and wasnt roaming the house while we were sleeping. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

• Mine were in regular full beds with head and foot boards at 18 months--one side against a wall and the other had a side rail--solved all of our problems of them climbing, getting a hand or foot caught between the rails, when they were sick and needed a little extra mommy or daddy snuggle time, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had my son in a toddler bed when he was 13 months.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My dd is 19 months and about a month ago I took one side off of her crib to see how she would do because she too was trying to climb out. I put pillows on the florr incse she rolled off. She did fall out the first night but did the second night and hasnt yet. Now when its night night time she goes and gets in bed with no problems. She is getting her toddler bed this month.
    mommy020407

Answer by mommy020407 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2009