Are you supposed to wash the new clothes you get for your baby before they wear them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I always do because you dont know how many different hands the clothes have been through before you got them. They get made, thats one set, packed, another set, unpacked, another set, then however many people touch them before you did.

Answer by gemgem at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have ALWAYs washed them all with a gentle detergent like dreft before dressing any of my babies in new clothes. There are too many dyes and other nasty things on the clothes to put them against a baby's skin without washing them first. The same goes for all bedding, outerwear, and anything else they'll come in contact with including my shirts.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I always do - like the gemgem said you never know who all touched them and what touched them. Plus I always have a feeling that it gets extra dyes, etc. out of them beforehand so it will not break them out.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 4:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I did with my first child, but I didn't with my second-both of them were fine:)
    Anonymous

• i agree with prev post, i do each time
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I always have yes.... doing it right now in fact!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• They suggest it. I'll be the first to admit that I don't always do it, especially with my own clothes. I've never had any problems, but now that we are having another baby, I'm going to try and make sure it gets done. You really don't know who has touched the clothing, but I see sometimes that kids can get a rash or allergic reaction to whatever is on the clothing before it's washed. Just trust your judgment :)

KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I did with all three of my girls clothes. There was one shirt that I did not wash because I ran out of time before we went to the hospital and it ended up being the shirt I brought her home in and she ended up breaking out in a rashwhereever the shirt touched her. Their skin is so very sensitive as a newborn and like post two said, there are so many dyes and preservatives used on clothing to keep them ok during shipping, that you never know what could irritate their soft skin.

It doesn't have to be the most expensive laundry detergent either. My sister inlaw uses ALL FREE & CLEAR and that works just as well as Dreft.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I agree I did with the first for about the first 9 months or so. Then one day while we were out he totally ruined his clothes and I had no spares. I bought him a pack of pajamas and put them right on. Low and behold he was fine! It was kind of funny because I was sooo worried about putting these unwashed clothes on him. From then on and with my second I try to but I am not as religious about it. I always wash consign and hand me downs though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Did you hear about the woman who wore a bra before washing it and there was some foreign insect in it and it layed eggs in her breast? Check where the clothes are coming from. I wash but am guilty of wearing them before.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009