Do you think its a good or bad thing?

Is baby wearing a good or bad thing, or do you feel indifferent about it? Do or did you ever have worries of spoiling your child by holding them too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been told you cannot spoil a baby. I believe that to be true. The way I see it is this. You carry your baby for 40 weeks inside you and then all of a sudden some ppl expect them to just be good with not being held or what not. Of course they desire and need to be held. In fact its been proven babies do better with more hands on attention then those without. They are more secure in their surroundings, have a better sense of being able to do things because of that and long term develop a high self esteem and self confidence.
    Anonymous

• I never worried with any of my 3 kiddo's that they would get spoiled I love my carrier!!!
    Anonymous

• Good for some, not for others.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• There's no such thing as a spoiled infant. TODDLERS can be spoiled by giving them everything they want. But refusing to hold a baby because you're afraid they'll be spoiled? That's like ypur husband refusing to kiss you because he doesn't want you to get too used to it.

It's silly, right?

Studies have shown that children who are raised with attachment parenting methods like baby wearing grow into more independent toddlers and preschoolers. They're the ones who DON'T cling to their parents' legs when they go to school...they already knwo they can trust mom and dad to be there when needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That is a totally personal decison...My daughters lived on my hip but I very rarely "wore" them...And no you can't spoil a baby but they need time on their own to explore their worlds, stretch their limbs, adn get a different view of the world. So it's a matter of balance I think.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't think you can spoil a baby under 6 months. Most pediatricians agree with this. I carry my baby, it makes her happy and my life easier. She also has plenty of time to play and explore, it depends on her mood. Most research is disproving "spoiling" a baby. Same with crying it out, babies do not cry to manipulate! I did a lot of research when I was pregnant and didn't take the advice of others.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 4:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I love babywearing. I need a new wrap.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wore my son because he had severe colic, and it was one of the few things that brought him a little bit of comfort. I can't believe people think that by being affectionate with your child, you're spoiling them. I think that by withholding affection, you ruin them.
    Anonymous

• I love the idea of babywearing, but haven't found a good sturdy carrier for my little one. He's 7 months old and off the growth charts! I just end up carrying him around most of the time, or sitting with him while he plays, and napping with him.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think it's neat, it would definately free up my hands when he wants to be held. I don't think it spoils them. I've never bought a wrap though, or received one
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009