My 6 year old will not eat!

My 6 year old boy is very picky and only eats certain foods he approves of, how do i break him out of that? every time we introduce him to foods he says it tastes terrible and he doesnt like the way it looks. im worried help!!

fairybrokenwing

Asked by fairybrokenwing at 4:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know the answer to your question but i know I have the same problem with my five year old! If you find out let me know! Good luck!!
    1974blueeyes

Answer by 1974blueeyes at 5:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Honestly most kids go through stages of eating certain things - Don't worry they will eventually come around. My son who only ate cereal and chicken nuggets has a very healthy & big variety of the foods he eats.

As long as your children aren't just eating candy & sugars, they'll eventually grow out of it. Pick your battles wisely - is it worth the aggravation? Maybe have them help you pick what to eat for dinner? Get them involved in making the choices for dinner. see what happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Yes my kids do this to me. esp my oldest. I found if I let them cook with me sometimes they eat it. Or if I find a special bowl or plate with a cool placemat they have chosen they are more excited to eat. I mostly keep my menu pretty kid friendly. My husband insists that they have to try the foods. Usually they are pretty suprised. If they dont try it, they dont eat... But I do my best to make meals that they like...and every once and a while I make things that the adults like and let them eat something different. Yes I give in.
    Are you part of the Recipe Swap group? Check it out..some yummy stuff in there.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The thing that worked for me was keep introducing it. Alot of times they don't like it b/c it is unfamiliar. Keep offering it, and I make mine atleast try it every time I put it out there. Pls their taste buds change so much at this age. Keep trying.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My seven year old in the same way. Our doctor said that this was fine as long as he ate something.
    Raquel274

Answer by Raquel274 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• cook hwat you want to eat and if he doesn't like it, too bad for him. you arent running a diner there. just ask in the am what he wants for dinner and then tell him okay, this is hwat i'm making. be sure to make a dish he will eat. but do not cater to his every whim.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Just cook what you want to cook, and try to have one thing on the plate he will eat. Then have a rule that he has to take one bite of everything on his plate. Don't make him special things just to get him to eat--if he's hungry he will eat. Try the same foods multiple times and eventually he will start to at least tolerate them.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 11:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i learned a cool trick from my oldest headstart teacher.... you must atleast one no thank you bite of everything on your plate b4 leaving the table if you don't like it you don't have to eat it, but what's for dinner is whats for dinner i try to make atleast one meal a week that i know everyone one will like but i'm not running a resturant
    minniebug

Answer by minniebug at 12:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2008