how long should i put my daughter in time -out

my daughter is 2 when she misbehaves she sits on the time-out mat i struggle because i dont know how long is to long my daughter stays in time-out for about 3-4 minutes is this to short or to long this is just for a minor misbehave not anything major shes starting to tack advantage of me because im pregnant and cant really do as much as i used to HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1 min for each year is what is recommended.
    Anonymous

• My dad was a pediatrician and I always remember him telling his patients 1 minute for each year of age, so a two year old would sit for 2 minutes, although I have to confess my evil mom mistakes...I used to forget about my little guys every so often and it never hurt them to stay a little longer. I finally reverted to using a timer.
    blowingsteam

Answer by blowingsteam at 4:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• One minute for every year she is. To her it will seem like hours. And she is 2 so that is the terrible 2 time so it may work and may not, but be consistant even if you don't think its working.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• One minute per year... BUT that time starts once she is calm. If she is screaming and crying, let her scream and cry as long as she wants. THEN start the time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i've heard the one minute for age too. My daughters nearly 2 so i go ahead and do 2 minutes.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 4:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Until she is ready to do as she is told. That cold be in 30 seconds or 30 minutes. (it won't take that long lol) But until and unless she is ready to show you she can behave properly or she is ready to do as she was told...she sits.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Putting a child in time out for too long defeats the purpose. It boggles my mind to see people still using old techniques or recommending them for punishing their children.
    Anonymous

• Define "too long".

What I wrote before was information given to me by a very respected pediatric psychologist in our area. He is helping us to help our son gain control of his impulses. He knows I implemented the behavior modification plan with my younger two (ages 3 and 2) and he also knows that it is working wonders on my 2 year old.

He also told me that the guy who started the "one minute per year" only wrote that because parents wanted some kind of a time to make them sit. He said, "it sounded good".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009