What is it like to have a hysterectomy?

I am having surgery for the first time at 41 yrs. old. I have to have a hysterectomy this Wednesday. Any advice would be helpful

LoriLynn686

Asked by LoriLynn686 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Health

• I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2006 (46 years old). I had a prolapsed uterus due to having a
    10 lb. baby in 1992. I was in the hospital for 2 days. They had me up on the 2nd day walking slowly. After about 7 days, I was feeling really good. Took it slow for 4 weeks, but felt fine overall. No more periods which is great. My ovaries were left and I have not yet experienced any signs of menopause or any crazy hormone stuff. No weight gain or anything. It was not bad at all.
    dirtymartini1

Answer by dirtymartini1 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There are many great hysterectomy gorups on CM you should look into joining a few. I was recently told that the solution to all of my female problems will be one and got great support from the women that have been there.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had a complete hysterectomy last January. I needed one due to endometriosis and fibroids. They had to do it the old fashion way. The cut, not the laparoscopy or vaginal. Of course you're in pain afterward. You can't lift anything and need lots of rest. They tell you to take it easy and that recovery time is six weeks. They're not kidding. The recovery drove me crazy because I wanted to be up doing things. However, my dh's parents were here helpding and that was great. I was able to get plenty of rest. I can tell you that I feel a thousand times better after I had it done. It was definitely worth it. Be sure you listen to what the doctor tells you and follow his/her instructions. Don't try to take yourself of pain meds too early either. I tried doing that and....OUCH! LOL! Do NOT lift anything. Take care of yourself and you'll be just fine. Good luck!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I had a vaginal hysterectomy but they left my ovaries. No matter what they say about that it still mess with your hormone level afterwards. But the vaginal hyster. was pretty easy. Which way are they planning to do it? If you can ask about having it done that way, it is such a faster way to recover.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• no more periods is so worth the surgery, good luck to you
    RJSMOMMA

Answer by RJSMOMMA at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009