Smacking himself.

My almost 6 month old son started hitting himself (not hard), and everything he plays with or who holds him. I was just wondering if anyone knew why he was doing this, or if its normal? Thanks!

DanielleStover1

Asked by DanielleStover1 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he around other older kids that maybe hit each other? Does he see people horseplay or fight that way? If so then there is your answer.
    Anonymous

• no other kids. No horseplay or anything like that.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Hmm then hes just discovering his hands maybe. I would just tell him no and be consistent about it.
    Anonymous

• if its open palmed and not too hard, its normal. especially when they get excited. its just a part of discovering what his hands can do, the sensation of hitting, the sound. its not meant to be mean, a baby his age doesnt know what "mean" is yet. with or without children around him, hes still going to go thru this "milestone"
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• In my experience, it has to do with the sound it makes and the sensation that follows. They put everything in their mouth initially because the lips are sensitive and it helps then discover their surroundings. Around six months, tactile discovery is common and expressed in the form of petting everything, rubbing things, hitting and slapping things, and still putting things in his mouth. it's totally normal. If you're worried about him hurting himself, give him fuzzy pillows or stuffed animals to hit or teach him a clapping game like pat-a-cake.
    Sounds like he'll keep you on your toes! What a blessing!
    MagnaMeg

Answer by MagnaMeg at 5:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Forgive my shoddy typing. I'm between the computer and dinner on the stove. :-)
    MagnaMeg

Answer by MagnaMeg at 5:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yep, it's experimenting with touch, sound and sensation. They will develop a habit of slapping things too, tables, floors, toys, etc.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 5:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ditto to what everyone's saying about it being normal. My son does that too. To teach him not to hit people (he likes to pat peoples' faces a little too hard) we just gently take his hand, tell him no, and redirect it to something else (like a shoulder or a toy).
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• completly normal(for my kids anyways)
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my baby stared doing this also but becouse she has been teething on and off now a tooth is poking trew,she does it more when shes tierd
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009