I am having thyroid surgery on the 7th of this month. They are removing the part that is enlarged, checking to see if it's cancerous, and then removing the whole thing if it is. Has anyone had this surgery before? Any advice?

dazzledew

Asked by dazzledew at 5:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Health

• Yes, I had half of my thyroid removed. Stay proactive on getting your thyroid levels checked after surgery and regularly. Get a good endocrinologist that listens to *you* about how you feel. There is a wide variety in "normal" for your levels. Read up. Get some scar cream like Mederma or Neosporin Scar Treatment to avoid keloid scarring... Recovery was pretty quick, but talking the day of was rough - my vocal cords were dry and scratchy. That's all I can think of offhand? If you have any other questions feel free to message me. I had my surgery Feb 2008. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009