• In the Spotlight:

What is your take on this school policy?

The public school policy is that if there is a child with a peanut allergy that the other children are NOT allowed to bring in any peanut products at all for lunch or for snacks and if the other children bring in peanut products of any kind they will be told to leave the lunch room put in another seperate room to eat their lunch totally out of range of the child with the allergy. What is your opinion of this? I mean what if peanut butter and jelly is the only thing families can afford to make for their children for lunch everyday?

I ask this because I have a child that will eat nothing but peanut butter sandwiches for lunch everyday and she can not stand cheese sandwiches at all and she will be starting kindergarten in a little over a year...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Plus, I also agree with the op on what if it's the only thing a parent can afford to send their child? I try to send my children a variety of foods, but if all I could afford was pb&j, I would be very upset that I have to spend money I don't have in order to accomodate someone else. I'm not saying I don't sympathize with peanut allergies, but I kind of feel like the next step will be a demand that all peanut products be taken off of store shelves, and there comes a point where parents and children have to learn about and take responsibility for protecting themselves from their allergy.
    Anonymous

• Well, it is a weird policy but they are just trying to keep that student safe. They do sell peanut free "peanut butter" you could look into. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well, considering the seriousness of the allergy, I agree with it.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I understand what the school is trying to do, but I think it's wrong to make the MAJORITY of students have to alter their meals/snacks for the safety of a FEW!

In one of my son's preschools, I had a mother who sent notes home to all of the parents requesting that we don't give our children PB AT HOME!!! Her son had an AIRBORNE allergic reaction to ALL peanut products!!!! She ended up taking her son out of the program, because so many moms complained that it was not fair for her son to dictate the eating habits of everyone else!

I think the children with the food allergies should be taught to read food labels, avoid certain products that contain peanuts or peanut oil, or have to eat in a separate area.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be a lot easier to keep an eye on what the one child is eating rather than to try to control what the other several hundred are bringing in.

I can understand the severity of the allergy, but parents should be able to feed their kids what they want, too.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I agree with it. My lawyers little girl is extremely allergic to peanuts and if she even gets to close to peanuts she can die. I had never put much thought into it before meeting them to be honest. My son goes to school with his dd and thinks its completely unfair, but hes a teenager and they arent adults like we are. It is our job to protect not just our children but those they go to school with. I would rather the school protect the child then have MY child witness someone die from an allergic reaction. I think thats more damaging then not getting to eat a PB sandwich. This is a great opportunity to teach your child about empathy for others, and how to expand their diet.

Answer by gemgem at 5:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• So your kid is a picky eater so someone else's kid should die? Peanut allergies are very serious, life threatening. Make a tuna fish sandwich. Tell your kid to get over it. Apply for free or reduced lunches from the school.
    The policy is necessary for the safety of a child.
    Geesh.
    mom2eeba

Answer by mom2eeba at 5:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Peanut allergies are very serious so I can understand the school's concern. However, it seems a little harsh to forbid other students from bringing peanut products for lunch. It would make more sense to remove the child that has the allergy to a safer location. Honestly, how will a teacher or school official know if a child's lunch might contain peanuts. Not everything is as obvious as peanut butter.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I disagree with it.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 5:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• TO mom2eeba...
    PLEASE GET OFF OF YOUR HIGH HORSE. I WAS NOT COMPLAINING IN THE LEAST BIT...GEESH TO YOU ALSO. I WANTED OTHER LADIES OPINIONS. IT IS DRAMA MAMA'S LIKE YOU THAT I CAN NOT STAND.

Also thank you to the other ladies that have been civil. I was just curious as to what people though of it...I was not complaining in the least bit.
    Anonymous