What is a "Nana?" My DIL now says that will be my name?

I used to be Gramma!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Nana is another name from Grandmother...also "mom mom", gramma, grandma, granny, etc.

My "Nana and Papa" were the best!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my daughter calls my MIL Nana
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 5:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I believe you should be called what you want to be called. If you want to Gramma, then stick with it.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 5:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Maybe that's the only way your grand baby knows how to say Gramma?
    Anonymous

• It's another name for Grandma. I have always had Nana's and my mom is Nana to my babies. I think Nana sounds less "old" than Grandma. I think it's cute.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's another name for Grandmother. Many many people call their grandmother Nana.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My kids call my mother nana. My son say's I have 3grandma's but only 1 nana!!!! It is just another way to say grandma and it makes my mom feel so special that she is the only one known to them as nana. No matter what they call you when you look into their eyes and they call for you your heart is going to melt.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my kids and I call one of my grandmas Nana. They call my mom Mama Tracy(so cute.)
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 6:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My daughter calls my Mom Nana. She calls my husbands mom Sunshine. We just let her pick her own name for them. I think Nana is cute. is there a reason you don't like it?

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My mom is "Nana" to her grandkids. I think she chose that name for herself. I didn't have a say - my sister's kids came way before mine. With my husband's parents, we let them pick their names. I'm sure they wouldn't be offended if you let them know you didn't want to be Nana.
    atardino

Answer by atardino at 7:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009