Help me understand why people are too stupid to spay and neuter their pets.

Because I really, really don't get it.

I have to be away for a few hours, on business directly related to this question.

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I don't know if they are 'stupid' per-se but more likely that they don't stop to think that there is more expense beyond just providing food for a pet.

Yes, it's easy to buy cheap pet food but pets also are costly for vet bills, shots and spay/neuter.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2011

• Let me introduce you to my father. He has a male dog from a breeder who was at one time a "stud." Now that he's been taken out of the breeding circle and sold to my father, my dad doesn't want to "take away his manhood."

Honestly I don't get it either.

When we lived in Italy it was the same thing: male machismo. Rational arguments were thrown out the window by the typical Italian male in favor of overpopulation and keeping your pet intact.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2011

• I don't think it's something people can really ever understand. I've heard so many asinine reasons for not spaying or nuetering pets. None of them are valid. People don't seem to understand there are legit health benefits to altering your pet besides the glaring fact that it cuts down on needless animals being put to sleep.

The most recent excuse I've heard is that they really love the way a new owner's face lights up when they put a fluffy kitten into their arms. Really? Maybe they should witness the light go out of countless kittens eyes when they're put to sleep.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2011

• Personally, I see no reason to spay my two female indoor dogs. My cat on the other hand will be getting fixed soon, she is supposed to be indoor but, she keeps escaping when I open the door. Not everyday but, every once in awhile and I don't want little kitties.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2011

• Yeah, I don't get it.

We work in dog rescue. I get to see dogs die every day because people 'see no reason' to be responsible pet owners. Getting a bit tired of it.
    FreeForAll

Comment by FreeForAll (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2011

• Because people are ignorant and irresponsible. Responsible pet owners spay and neuter their animals. We just took in a dog that was about to be put to sleep, she's pregnant, her previous owners didn't see a reason to spay her, until she went into heat and got out. When they found out she was pregnant they didn't want to deal with it. Some people are just extremely irresponsible and uneducated on pet care.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2011

• I think a lot of people simply don't want to pay for it. Or they didn't budget for the expense when they got the pet. I also know a couple guys who don't want to neuter their male dogs because of some weird machismo issue- which I think is ridiculous.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2011

• Here we go again! Like every other issue on here,there r 2 sides!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2011

• There is only one legit reason I have ever heard. It was on Pitt Boss and his dog Hercules almost died from an allergic reaction to anesthesia during a previous procedure. However, because the dog could die from the procedure and can't be fixed, he never lets the dog out of his sight. If your animal is allergic the only thing you can do is keep a constant watchful eye over them but unless that is the case or you are a legitimate breeder who has done extensive genetic and health testing, there is no excuse for not getting them fixed.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2011

• The only reason I don't spay or neuter is if an animal is chronically ill or too ill to survive the surgery. I have one intact male cat at the moment who is FeL positive and has throat polyps. I want him neutered but until a vet agrees to do the surgery under a local instead of under general anesthesia it isn't going to happen. Personally, I don't see any reason for anesthesia for ANY neuter unless other procedures are being done. It would cut down costs, OR/recovery time, and not subject the animal to unnecessary risks FROM the anesthesia.

That being said, I'm a firm believer in speutering. All of my pets are rescues/strays. I am at my limit and can't responsibly do more.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2011