How do you feel about this?

I was watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with my daughter and...Augustus...they cast a fat kid as a fat kid. I started thinking about it and what an awful thing to do! I mean the child has weight issues and they cast him as a glutenous pig...drinking chocolate and eating constantly. I can't imagine signing my overweight child up for something like that, but do you think it was unethical for them to do that? It cant be good on his self image! I'm sure there are a ton of other examples of this.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree...I know it's the type of person they were looking for but I just feel sorry for overweight ppl who put themselves out there for parts like that. I think it's degrading to them in a way.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think people have become way too sensitive. The character is fat and they cast a fat kid? Uhm? No problem with that at all. Some people are thin, some fat, some tall, some short, some pretty, some ugly. Thats reality.
    Anonymous

• I thought about that too, but the kid's parents know what he can or can not handle. I'm pretty sure they did a call for an overwieght actor between such and such age/sex. He fit the bill perfectly. A movie's a movie.
    Anonymous

• Oh I agree that a character is a character...and if it was an adult, I wouldn't feel bad...but they made this character out to be a disgusting fat kid. I would never sign my child up for a role like that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't have an issue with it, he's an actor doing an acting job. Yes, he's a child, but any child actor is going to have some form of issue with rejection in their life. The child played the role he signed up for, it's his parent's job to make sure that he doesn't take the character too personal.

PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 6:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• just like casting dwarfs and midgets. lol They agree and prob like the money way more then being made a fool of.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• faithful...lol...I thought of that too while I was watching it (it was the old version). And money does go a long way. I bet I would throw my fat self in a lake of chocolate too if I knew it meant college was paid for or something!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009