Won't lay down to get her diaper changed

My 10 month old just will not lay down to get her diaper changed. I end up having to do everything while she's standing. It's really hard when she poops because if I can at least get her to lay down for 20 secs I get most of the poop off so that she will not get it on the carpet, and than have to get the rest when shes standing or crawling. It makes changing her diaper really hard and takes forever. I've tried kind of holding her down and she ends up screaming and than makes it impossible to do anything. Help!!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know if u spank but popping her on her naked butt might help.. u dont have to do it hard..
    or just wait and she will get use to the fact she has to stay laying down.. kids r different.. my daughter grew out of it and my nephew got spanked and learned
    Anonymous

• I have a special toy I give my ds for diaper changes. Usually works. Or I've even used a wrpped candy cane. Somethin he can lay there and hold or suck on while I rush to get it done.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 5:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I disagree with the PP suggesting spanking. I think babies under a year are way too young to understand why you're spanking them. And it could backfire and make diaper changing even worse. The suggestion above about offering a distraction or toy is what I do with my son. He's 7 months old and just screams and screams sometimes when we change him. He just hates to lay down! So we just power through it and try to talk calmly and nicely to him. I've noticed that if I tell him we're changing his diaper and start it slowly, instead of picking him up and being really abrupt about it - it helps to keep things calm.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i dont know, but i learned how to change a diaper unside down, backwards, standing ect....... kids are crazy.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009