how do i potty train a 21 mo. old with an attitude?

kyliesmommy08

Asked by kyliesmommy08 at 5:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IF she has attitude she could be just testing you and has learned that it works. You can not be phased by it. She could also be showing you that she doesnt quite understand or is ready.

One GREAT thing that worked at my house when I was training 3 at the same time...i read about it somewhere.. We were all almost completely trained but each one had something they had just not gotten yet. So I went to the library and the librarian gave me every single book and movie for children that they had on the subject. I had about 10 books 5 or 6 movies. You should have seen them absorb the information. After that, they all "got it". We were done.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Is she ready or are you trying to get her trained by a certain date (like her birthday)? If you force her when she's not ready, you will be pulling your hair out and will actually take many months MORE than if you wait and teach her when she's ready.

Remember, half of all kids are ready by 2.5 years old. The other half are ready AFTER 2.5 years.

If she is ready, then you need to find a way to make it her idea. Reading her books and watching DVD's about potty training helps. Especially if the have a favorite character in them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008