For all of you who have sons...

Has this site made you fear the day that you will become a MIL? I believe that there are horrible MILs but sometimes I read the posts and think that a MIL just cannot win. I feel like my son's future wives are going to expect me to be damn near perfect in order for them to like, or more importantly respect, me. Does anyone else ever feel like that? And if you are a MIL I would definitely love any input.

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 5:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I've been a MIL to my son's wives and to my daughters' husbands. I think I rock...ok, except for that last ho he got hooked up with. She was/is crazy as a loon. that's not my fault. I didn't tell him to but was glad when he divorced her.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• There are some really great ones out there! So don't worry, Just try not to run there lives and tell them what they need/should do unless they ask for advice, And don't start out on a wrong note. And no I don't dread it, I will hopefully know where my bounds start and end, cause I have had such a bad mil. I am going to go off of her mistakes and try not to do the things she does! LOL. Hopefully if you have a good one you can watch her and see how she treats you if you have a bad one do the same but remember not to do those things.
    Anonymous

• LOL! As someone with a monster-in-law, yes I worry about this. But I figure it won't be hard to turn out better than my MIL... all I will have to do is respect his partner regardless of her race/ethnicity, know the kids' names (including middle names... my MIL does not know my children's middle names!), show up to the b-day parties I'm invited to, and call once a month. If I did all those things I would already be a better MIL than mine is... I'm sure I can handle that!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have three boys. So I am worried more about what kinda girl they will marry more. lol But I hope I'm not a monster in law.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am a mil so to speak. My dd is engaged and been with her bf since she was 15. She is now almost 20. He is basically my son in law I know he isnt going anywhere. We have problems off and on but I am not perfect and he contributes to problems too sometimes. I dont worry about being a mil but I will admit my teen boys just started dating and I dont think there will ever be a girl good enough for them haha. I hope I am not bad. I love my grandson, and I think that basically as long as the girl is good to my son and grandkids there shouldnt be a problem. I think though 90% of the problem with mil and dil's is mils dont think any girl is GOOD ENOUGH for their sons. That shows through and we have to remember we too were once the dil & the dil needs to understand mils are only human & are mothers as well.

Answer by gemgem at 6:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• No way. I get along with most people and always want harmony in my family. I will strive for that and hope that my son picks someone who will truly make him happy. I hope I'm not sounding naive but unless she is some kind of monster, I just can't imagine us not getting along. I am a hopeless romantic (hence my screen name), so in a way I can't wait to see my son get married one day and give me grand babies!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 6:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my future mother in law is wonderfully amazing, she treats my kids great, she is always nice and kind to me and she makes it very clear her son is with me, idk if all of this will change when she IS my mil lol but her current daughter in law (my bf's brothers wife) she seems to be good to her and i have never heard her say a bad thing about her and she can be alittle wacky some times lol (well from what i have been told by my BF who after her being with his brother for like 4 yrs dating and 3 yrs married cant even remember her name because he doesnt liek her lol
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 6:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have one boy and two girls.I worry about the woman my son is going to marry one day and especially the kind of man my daughters end up picking,more than a mother in law.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have two sons and I hope when they meet their special somones that I keep my mouth shut about things that don't concern me unless it's really bad. My MIL always had a big mouth. I know her almost 17 years now and I'm the type that won't fight back. Maybe one day I will. She had the nerve to tell my husband (her son) I didn't need another car after I had an accident and that I should be working. First of all, she never offered to help me babysit when they're off of school and my hours are limited. Schools aren't hiring where I live. She always was a budinsky. I feel I'm a good wife and mom so mind your own business. I can go on about this. Peace out.
    t
    t
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 6:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I try to think of it as: At least I know not to do that!!! But I'm a very different person than my MIL (who I don't get along with well....we tolerate each other, but she has a mouth on her and I think she forgot how to close it.)

I guess she's my "what not to do" model.
    Anonymous