What should the rules be for an 18 year old high school student who is living at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• If they are still in high school then I would have the same rules as before they were 18 yrs old and give them extended time out or something on weekends.

Answer by gemgem at 5:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My mom was pretty laxed with me in high school. As long as I told her who I was with and where I would be, she never set rules. As long as my grades were good, I could skip classes every once in awhile. I graduated with a 3.6 so I guess I did something right and she trusted enough.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 5:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I guess it would depend on a lot of things. How are the grades? If they are doing pretty good in school then I would be a little more relaxed with the rules but let them know that one slip in the grades and they would have to go back to the way it was. Even if they are 18, they are still living under your roof.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Same thing gemgem said!
    kodamom

Answer by kodamom at 6:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My son is 18 and in his second semester of college. Since I'm footing the bill, my rules stay the same. He's always been a great kid, so there's no problems. His grades are good and disrespect has never been tolerated. He comes in at a decent hour because he knows I'll worry.
    kizzy831

Answer by kizzy831 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Sit and talk with your child on your family rules.  I would require good grades in school, knowing where they go, like when they were 17 except for I would be more leaniant on curfew.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My kids are 24y, 21y, and 16y old. Two oldest are incollege, youngest in hs and all three still live at home cause none are done with college yet. When the two oldest were in hs and now with the youngest in hs if grades are not consistent C's proven as such by months of quizzes and tests being C's or higher then weeknights are limited to community clubs one night a week or afterschool sports PRACTICE no afterschool sports games. I don't believe any highschooler even with top of line grades consistently deserves as much freedom as a college student gets BECAUSE THEY"RE NOT YET IN COLLEGE> That right of passage comes when highschool graduation or college comes and if no college then first responsible job then social freedom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my son is 18 and also in second semester at College..he's not allowed to go out during the week, the weekend he has be back at 12 or 1...since I'm paying for college if he fails any classes hes has pay me back for the classes he's failed, that will teach him not to fail...he's a good kid but he does have rules...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The rules are YOUR rules as long as he/she is in your house.  18 is very young and you are still the authority.  However, it is a good idea to decide of those rules together.  Even beforeor after 18!  That way, you all know where you stand and there is no argument.

fmtb

Answer by fmtb at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• if youre gonna be out past _______ atleast text n tell me where youre gonna b n with who
    keep the collar on but give a lil leash too...find youre even ground n pick your battles cuz he knowas everything at this age haha
    good luck mommy
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2009