STINKY BOY

HOW TO I GET MY 9 YEAR OLD SON TO ACTUALLY USE SOAP IN THE SHOWER, AND USE THE DEODERANT I GIVE HIM? (HE ONLY USES IT WHEN SOMEONE TELLS HIM HE STINKS)

charel

Asked by charel at 5:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well he is nine so I'm sure he doesn't want you to see him naked right??? Tell him the next time he doesn't use soap you are going to put him in the bath tub and wash him yourself...that should do the trick.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• LMAO sorry I have 3 boys so I feel your pain. I used to just knock on the bathroom door and ask if they were using soap. They would say yes or not yet and I would say I am gonna come in and check. Theyd use it LOL. I never actually WOULD have gone into check but they didnt know that. I also told them I was planning to smell them.

Answer by gemgem at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Tell him before he takes a shower, and ask everytime he gets out. If that doesn't work tell him you are going to start bathing him agian, that will work, everytime! LOL! As far as the deodorant, he is prob new to the whole stinky sweat thing, so you will have to remind him till he starts it out of habit.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• One thing that might work is if he likes girls yet, you could tell him that girls only like guys that smell good. If he wears deoderant and washes with soap then he will get all the girls and the ones that don't wont get any girls.
    medmaster2006

Answer by medmaster2006 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You might try taking him to the store with you and letting him smell all the "manly" body washes. Let him find one he likes and use it at home. He might think it's cool to have his "own" body wash that only he can use. :-)

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I remember my brothers getting in so much trouble behind this very thing. My mom started asking them if they used soap and of course they would say yes then she would say come here and let me smell you they would always offer up an arm.it worked for awhile until my mom would say let me smell your other arms and neck boy thats when she would catch them.lol So she did finally start sending in our dad to watch them.That didn't l;ast long they got the hint and started doing it on there own without a coach.
    MRSDUNN2008

Answer by MRSDUNN2008 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• ROFL This is *SO* typical of boys that age. They tend to space the whole bodily hygiene concept for a couple of years no matter how well they had it down before that. I had to remind my son every single day for a couple of years to shower, put on deodorant, use soap, wash his hands, brush his teeth, comb his hair, etc. It was like having a toddler all over again. LOL He is about to turn 12 and is finally remembering to do it on his own most of the time. I still have to remind him occasionally, but not EVERY day. According to family members who have boys older than mine, they DO eventually get the hang of it, you just have to keep reminding them until they develop the habit. I just asked my son & he said that the chart I made for his bathroom door really helped!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I smell my boys (aged 11, 10 and 8) when they get out of the shower. One day I'll smell an elbow. Then their face. Etc. Always a different part of the body. If I don't smell soap, they get back in the shower. I also have to smell hair because they don't like to wash that, either. Boys are fun.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• it's nice to know i'm not the only one fighting with boys over the smell issue. my son is 11 and it's a tug and war, the soap is getting better, but i have to constantly remind him as we are going out the door each day to put on his deodorant. though he did like the idea of picking his own out, getting the scent he liked. like a couple of the other moms said i smell him on the way out, his hair will smell good, but there's something off when there's no deo. what a hassle....lol.
    moodemama

Answer by moodemama at 12:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have girls, and I guess that might be the only way that girls are easier.
    Mine put on deo daily, and I don't have to do much reminding.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009