What are your basic home rules for 16 - 18 year olds?

IdaB.

Asked by IdaB. at 5:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We have a contract. They cannot be out past a certain time. They cant drive home with friends unless I know them. They cannot go out with friends unless I know the friend and talk to their parents. Their curfews range. For 13-15 years old its 10:30 to 11:00pm depending where they are. 16-18 it is 12:00-12:30 am (mind u this is just weekends week days everyone is in by 9-10pm no exceptions). No smoking. No Drinking. No drugs. No weapons. If I find out I will call the police and report them and the person who sold it to them. Good grades= rewards like $100 per semester or gift worth same of their choice. If they wanna have sex they get condoms/birth control. If I find out they are having it unprotected they wont see daylight the rest of the year.

Answer by gemgem at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• well,besides what gem said :) clean up after yourself at all times, be respectful to yourself and others, no cussing in front of parents( i know they do it in school) no computer and or games until after homework if you have any, help around home, don't let me tell you to do your chores, they are yours for a reason, do your best in school(can't ask for better than your best0
    Anonymous

• gemgem touched base on what i have set for rules accept for the sex. my kids no matter of protection or not are not allowed at any degree.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• No hypocracy. Truth is paramount, so I am a rock while they tell me the difficult things. My son told me the first time he smoked pot. Although I wanted to shake him and scream at him, I asked him how the experience had affected him, and we talked about the real truth of the affects of ALL illicit drugs, and alcohol. He told me when he felt he was ready for sex, and I gave him condoms and very stern guidelines about appropriate sex. (He has since confided that making the decision that he was ready was easier than finding a partner who is ready). I have been told things I would never have told MY MOTHER in a million years! But I know what is really going on with my teens... my mom got a half-truth from good kids who did normal things, and felt we needed to hide them from her.
    hippiecrit

Answer by hippiecrit at 11:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009