meats from the deli.

P&C is pretty widely spread, everyone probably knows about it. I was wondering, I buy salami and eat it on a sandwich, I always heat it in the microwave til it steams, usually only takes 10 seconds. Anybody else heat their deli meats? I know eating certain meats can cause problems. I'm 30wks6days.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe that the issue is more with packaged meats. Buying it sliced from a deli you should be okay without heating it.
    I avoid packaged meats or heat it to 160. The meats I buy from my local deli, I don't bother heating.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 6:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't eat any processed meats or smoked meats cos they have preservatives or ingredients not good for you. I'm not sure about salami since I don't eat deli cuts much. Is it cooked already? Make sure to ask your doc and make sure the place where you get it from is practices good hygiene!
    Maiace

Answer by Maiace at 6:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• @ above, like bologna from the package you mean?
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I heated all deli/sandwich meats in the microwave when I was pregnant. I was pretty paranoid.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yes, all deli meats should be heated until steaming.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• when i was pregnant i never heated any of my meats. i constantly ate ham sandwiches or turkey. nothing ever happened.
    axbeautifulxlie

Answer by axbeautifulxlie at 6:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I never heated any of my lunch meats...prepackaged or from the deli. My OB said there was no reason to do so...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i've been eating soup and sandwich for lunch every day. i put my sandwich in a grilled cheese maker, so it's hot.

hope i'm okay too. i feel like the deli meat thing is new, i don't remember hearing warnings about it during my last pregnancy.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's good that you heat it, it's helps keep the risk of listeriosis down, but the other problem is the nitrates, which can cause a lot of problems in anyone in the long term. See if you can find nitrate-free salami or deli meats (Trader Joe's has a lot of that sort of stuff). Meats from a deli or prepackaged carry the same risk of listeria and of having nitrates, FYI.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2009