I have a four year old son who is very active. What can I do for him to keep him interested in learning?

He was in a private school from 6 weeks to age four but had to withdraw him for financial reasons. He was then placed in another preschool for about a month which we eventually had to withdraw him from too for the same reason. Now I stay home with him but feel as though he is lacking education/activities/social development because we can not afford to keep him in preschool until he starts kindergarden. It really bothers me he has no contact with other kids his own age except his two other cousins. He is very musically inclined and loves to play sports. I need some ideas to keep him active so we are not stuck at home doing nothing all day every day (as funds are limited).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I never sent any of my kids to daycare or preschool until they were 4 yrs old. They do have headstart programs you can look into and they are usually free if you dont have alot of income. You can call social services and ask for the number of the headstart or call the local elementary and ask. I always did things with my kids on my own since I prefer them home with me until 4 yrs old. We read, we dance, we listen to music, we go to the park, we go to the bowling alley, swimming, fishing, and things like that. You dont need alot of money to have fun with them & teach them things.

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well, for social needs, consider play groups. Don't emphasize the education as social skills are more important for early schooling than knowing abc's or 123's. For sports, look into any soccer or t-ball groups in your area. Otherwise, get out the ol' football and toss a few, that's what we do! Education happens every time he shows interest in something - let him tell you what he's interested in and then learn about it together. He's interested in the moon at night? Go to the library and get some books about the night sky, or astronauts who went to the moon. I always let my son pick out books he wants to read - things he's interested in, not me. The library is another great place for learning and meeting other kids - my son just made a new friend at the local library and we all went to the local fish park to play. Let HIM lead if you want him to stay interested!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Check out your local library. They should have story time for his age. Our library here even has a special morning once a month for children going into kindergarten. They pick a topic, read stories about it, do a craft and also work on numbers and letters.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Headstart
    Library events
    www.parentsasteachers.org
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Have you try headstart they have a home base program and a preschool.
    Jad30

Answer by Jad30 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am a preschool teach of 20 years and I love all of the suggestions given so far. I work with our local Head Start and also encourage you to check into it. At this time they may still have openings. Acceptance is based on income. Children must be 4 years old by September 1st in our area. Also look into online sights for him to play games that are educational. Just google "free educational preschool games". There is one at www.starfall.com and www.literacycenter.net (I think that is correct). You said your son is active so keep the learning fun or he might not stay interested. Little people don't typically like to sit and work with flash cards, but if you put the cards on the floor and put on music, then dance around the letter cards, stop the music and jump on a card, and name it. Children learn by doing! Have fun and invite over some other children his age!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• 'if you put the cards on the floor and put on music, then dance around the letter cards, stop the music and jump on a card, and name it. Children learn by doing!'

my daughter is also very active. we do this with letters and numbers, it works great! we also do lots of arts & crafts. we make egg carton caterpillars, cup castles (with styrofoam cups). we do simple science experiments, like melting sugar cubes & mixing in food coloring, melting chocolate, and other stuff, and we sometimes use our melted foods to paint with. the possiblites are endless, even on a limited income.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009