How can I get my 7 week old son to sleep in his crib??

When I first brought him home he was able to sleep in his crib if I swaddled him well. That lasted for about 3 weeks and now every time I put him down he breaks out or sinks into the receiving blanket to where his head is inside the wrap and his legs are sticking out the bottom waking him up after about an hour. To make the nights a little easier he now sleeps on me in the bed and it bought me the full 3 hours of sleep. Although this works somewhat for the sleep issue, I now would like to have him sleep in his crib and me comfortable in my bed. I also noticed that he used to sit in his car seat and go for car rides with no problem and now he hates them. The only thing that calms his is when I pull him out. I'm desperate to break this sleeping habit and enjoy stress free car rides again.

erikamolive

Asked by erikamolive at 6:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• good luck all babys go through this well mine did atleast you just have to give it time
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It's probably going to be tough to get him back in the crib since he's been sleeping in the bed with you. I'm sorry I can't help you there. However, the Miracle Blanket is great for swaddling (www.miracleblanket.com). It is the only swaddle my daughter couldn't bust out of. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• when my youngest started doing this i would put him in a swaddle thingy it's like two rolls that have a piece connecting them i would loosely wrap him up then stick him in there and he loved it.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You can keep swaddlinghim, but honestly there's no magic cure for this. He's programmed to be next to you. Unless there's a real issue, I'd keep him there for a while longer...it will NOT form bad habits! The parents who have trouble getting babies out of their beds are trying to get the kids out too soon. For developmental stuff like this, parental wishes have to take a back seat.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Can you arrange a "side car" crib, like a co-sleeper? I was able to remove one side of the crib and push the crib up against my bed (with something on the other side so that I couldn't move apart and form a gap. This way you still have your own "space" but it is easy to bring baby in and out of bed as he needs taht contact with mom. For a collection of research based articles, FAQs and guidelines for healthy infant sleep, making sure your bed is safe for baby, go to http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It might be a bit too soon. But even if he's ready, it might take some time. When we transitioned my son to his crib, it took a week or two. He was about four months when we started. I co-slept with the baby until we transitioned him, and after four months, I needed some space! We'd get him into a pretty deep sleep (nursing and rocking) and then lay him down in his crib. If he woke up, we'd soothe him back to sleep or rock him back down again. Eventually he got used to the crib. As for hating the car rides--my baby went through that phase, too! He was fine with car rides at first, then hated them for awhile, and now he's back to being fine with them. I have no idea what's up with that!
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009