WHAT DO I DO WITH A 6YR THAT HAS AN ATTUIDE THAT WONT STOP?

MY 6YR ILD HAS AN ATUIDE THAT WONT STOP! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I HAVE PUNNISHED HER TO NO END. SHE YELLS AT ME AND TELLS ME THAT SHE WANTS HER REAL MOM THAT HASNT BEEN HERE HER WHOLE LIFE THAT HURTS ME THEN SHE HAS LIKE A 16 YROLDS TEMPER AND ATUIDE AND I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY1 GOT SOME ANSWERS!!!!????

MRS.ROYBRATT

Asked by MRS.ROYBRATT at 6:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The fact that she says things about her real mom makes me think that maybe she resents you a little about her mom leaving her. Who knows why a child does this, but it seems as though it is an outlet for her to use when she is mad. Explain to her that you do know and understand that you are not her real mom, but let her know that you are an adult and deserve the same respect that she would give other adults. She might also want a shoulder to cry on. Maybe she feels rejected by her mother. Let her know you WANT to be there. You aren't just taking her on because of her dad. See if you can get to the root of her anger.
    medmaster2006

Answer by medmaster2006 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• that's a hard situation...you're the one there caring for her and she wants her mom, but she is not there...yelling back when she acts up is not the answer..you her father and her need to have a heart felt talk maybe that will help for her to hear that you do care for her.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she is angry her mother is not in her life.  When she tells you she hates you she is just trying to hurt your feelings.  Does she usually tell you she hates you when she is not getting her way? Try not to feed into her drama, let her know that you love her and understand she is angry.  Have your husband spend some extra time with her.  Both you and your husband need to be on the same page when it comes to parenting..Remember it is okay for you to walk away when she is mouthing off.  Talk with her once the both of you calm down her father should be the one to punish her.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would honestly consider some cound\seling, it might really help.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• STOP punishing her for her feelings. validate that it's ok for her to be sad and even angry. help her learn that there are ways that are ok to vent & show her feelings.while she's upset say: "i'm sorry you feel that way. i love you". when she isNOT in a rage, talk to her about how sad she seems to be,& that you want to help her feel less sad & angry. ask how you can help her feel better. when she is sassy, let her know that there is only 1 person who gets to have an attitude in your home, YOU. she needs to uncross her arms, stand up straight, & not speak to you with ugly words. do not allow her to yell at you. when she raises her voice, & speaks like that, calmly say "i will listen to you when you pull yourself together &speak in a nicer tone." be loving. be consistent. when she yells, ignore anything she says until she pulls her self together, as she's been told. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 8:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Vickiathome took the words right out of my head. She is right and that is the best way to handle it.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I went through this with my step son. Took 2 years for him to trust that I wasn't going anywhere. Hold her tight and reassure her that you will always love her no matter what she says or does.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2009