I heard that used clothes can cause sids

I heard that used clothes can cause sids... How is this possible? Is this a bunch of bs? What really causes sids?

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 6:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• SIDS is a cath all for unexplainable infant death .
    Experts don't know the 'true' cause , many things may contribute to it though .

I expect used clothes could contribute to it if they were in a smoking household ... but carefully washed & dried they would be completely safe.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have never heard that and we have used a lot of hand me downs. I am not sure it is not true, but I have never ever heard of it. I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly what causes SIDS, but they say putting a baby to sleep on their belly and dressing them too warmly to sleep may increase the risk. It has been said that giving your baby a pacifier may decrease the risk a little also.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• In the package insert for the DTaP shot, it says deaths have occured following it.. Sids.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• : / Really?

I guess I lucked out, all my mom had for me was hand-me-downs from my older cousin.

I guess everyone can guess, but nobody really knows what causes it. We just know of the best ways to try and prevent it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The used clothes bit is BS, There is actually no factual evidence on what causes SIDS, all they really know are various things that are linked with a significant amount of cases of SIDS. For example: belly sleeping, sleeping on soft mattress or blankets, babies sleepin on adult beds, over clothing babies while they sleep, and i'm sure many more. Now none of these are proven things that cause SIDS however they tell you to avoid them to reduce the risk.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I agree with what Meshell said and if the clothes came from a home where cigarettes are used then that probably would cause a risk. I couldn't think of any other reason why it would cause SIDS though. Clothes are expensive and kids grow out of them so fast. One of my favorite places to shop for my toddler's clothes is thrift stores! Of course I always bring them straight home and wash them really well.
    Anonymous

• "In the package insert for the DTaP shot, it says deaths have occured following it.. Sids. "

If the shot caused death, then it is not SIDS. SIDS has no known cause. If there is a reason for the death, it is not SIDS. SIDS is listed as reason for death only if there is no other apparent reason, and/or none is found with autopsy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When a baby is said to have died from SIDS, it simply means that no one has any idea why the baby died. If a baby suffocates in used clothes or has an allergic reaction to clothes or something, it wouldn't be "he died from SIDS" it would be "he died from allergic reaction to xyz" or "he suffocated", they don't say he died from sids. In my mind it's impossible to make any connection, because if they could make a connecttion, they would no longer call it SIDS...they'd call it whatever it was.
    IMHO, I really think we'll never know what causes SIDS, because it's the same as trying to says "His unexplainable death was caused by xyz." It's not unexplainable death if you can explain it.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• In a nutshell, it's easier for a doctor/coroner/parent/whoever... to say "He died from SIDS" than to say "I have no idea what happened."
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 7:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That's a new one! Just wash used clothes before you wear them (same with new clothes), and they're fine. There are a lot of things that can cause SIDS, many of which are still unknown.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009