MY DAUGHTER IS 11 WEEKS OLD AND HAS A UMBILICAL HERNIA, SHE ACTS LIKE SHE IS IN A LOT OF PAIN. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP HER BE MORE COMFORTABLE?

I HAVE TAKEN HER TO THE DOCTOR TO HAVE IT LOOKED AT. THE DOCTOR SAYS THAT HAS COLIC AND CONSTIPATION BUT IT HAS NO LINK TO THE HERNIA. SHE HAS NOT EVEN DONE AN EX-RAY ON HER TO MAKE SURE THAT NOTHING IS TWISTED. I AM SWITCHING DOCTORS BUT IN THE MEAN TIME IF ANYBODY HAS SUGGESTIONS ON KEEPING HER MORE COMFORTABLE I WOULD APPRECIATE THEM. THE SCREAMING AND GRABBING ME IS BREAKING MY HEART. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW TO TRY TO HELP HER FELL BETTER AND NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK OR IF IT DOES IT LASTS ABOUT 5 MINUTES. SHE IS ALSO STRICTLY BREAST FED AND I WATCH WHAT I EAT SO I DONT EAT ANYTHING TO MAKE IT WORSE.

smiley0921

Asked by smiley0921 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Granddaughter had an umbilical hernia. It was repaired surgically when she was two weeks old. The Dr's made it very clear to us that any level of constipation would increase her pain level. In fact they ordered a very small daily dose of miralax to make sure she moved often and softly. I would def. switch Dr's. In the meantime I would monitor her stools very carefully. If she has gas that could also cause more pain due to the pressure from the inside. Gas can be very painful for babies w/o a hernia.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• if she looks constipated, like she has really firm stools give her a little dark caro syrup. Since she is breastfed maybe some in a dropper. But bc she is so young I would just take her to the ER. Screw waiting for a new dr. Oh by the way, you and your insurance company is paying for your dr's paycheck so tell them what you want done. Period. Just keep her as comfy as possible and get the tummy checked out. If it is colic it will eventually pass.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My now 8 month old son had one when he was born but it didnt seem to bother him at all the doctor said it usually will go away by the time there 2 but hes now 8 months and its been gone since he was 6 months old.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Unless it's a really bad hernia I can;'t see where she would be in that much pain unless she's constipated. Mine had small umbilical hernia too. It's very common. Hers has healed itself already which is probably why your doc hasn't suggested surgery. So many times surgery is unnecessary but some docs are willing to do it right away. You may just have a conservative doc and she may be in pain from something else. An xray won't show the hernia. They can tell by feel.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009