Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this may sound stupid

I live in ny state. i am getting a divorce. have been married 12 years. My ex was supposed to get money from his grandparents after they died. i think his parents have been holding it. it was a trust fund. is there a way i could have this looked into to get half of it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (20)
  • You're getting divorced and you want part of his grandparents money? thats... I don't even know a word for that, You that bad off you have to take his grandparents money from him? I know we all have our problems, but I don't see why you think you deserve the money his dead grandparents left in a trust for their grandchild.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • I really don't think you can take any of his inheritance, especially if it was a trust and established before he was married to you. And on the ethical side, would you really want to take away anything that was given to him by his deceased grandparents?

    Answer by micrespo at 7:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • Why would you want half of the money from HIS grandparents death?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • Nope. I'm sure that would be nice but you are not entitled to any of that money. It was accumulated before the marriage. And also, it looks like it won't be gifted to him until after the divorce. Just let it go.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 7:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • If you ask me I do not think this is completely right! If it is from his Grandparents it is for him. Do you have school age children? If anything some of the money should be put away for the children. Just think if things were reversed would you want to have to give up half to him? My husband went through this with his ex 12 years ago. He put most all of the money into an account for his children and the rest went to her and she blew it. Any way good Luck with your unfortunet situation! Hope things work out for the best for all!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • "Yes, there is such a thing a separate property. Separate property is A. Anything brought into the marriage. B. Anything acquired during the marriage by gift or inheritance, and held in separate name. C. Proceeds of a personal injury award (such as from auto accidents, slip and fall, etc.). D. Disability pensions (but just the portion for disability, not the ordinary pension part). E. Anything purchased with the sale or trade of separate property.

    So nope.  You have no rights to his inheritance, even if he got it while you were married.


    Answer by desert_diva at 7:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • Since you are not legally divorced, whats his is yours right?? I think the two of you need to make an appointment with a mediator.  If the inheritance is not under your husbands name then you don't get it. 


    Answer by mommiedear at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • I'm sorry but it's his money, and unless he owes you money, I mean really owes you, then it's his. Unless you want this divorce to get ugly or worse I would just forget about it. If it were reversed you wouldn't want him taking money from your dead grandparents would you?

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • You really should just talk to a lawyer about this. Hiding money from you,where ever it came from and your still married. I would think you should get some of it. But I am not a lawyer.


    Answer by louise2 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • It depends on when he inherited this money. Go to probate court, the clerk of court's office where his grandparents lived, and request a copy of their will. If they died before the divorce you should be able to get half. Your lawyer should be able to set this in motion. His parents may have set some aside knowing that he would not be with you - it happens a lot. If he and they hid this money then he hid other money from you. I personally would hire an private investigator. Sooo worth the money. Look, your not a bad person. You were married for 12 years and have children together. Legally you are entitled to this money because it was marital property. Period. So girl, go track that down.  Your money is also your children's money.  This will help you to provide support for them.  Ignore the "shocked" women.  If this were to happen to them they would be singing the same tune.

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.