How can I assist with infant adoption reform?

It's a new year with new hopes, dreams and challenges. I am now a widow and grandma...I was thrown into a very large, multi-billion dollar den of baby buying industries...I have read "The Manual" , I have read The Primal Wound and The Girls Who Went Away, The Butterbox Babies and the list goes on....I want to assist in newborn infant adoption reform..2009! Yes We Can!!!!

Kidsmamabear

Asked by Kidsmamabear at 7:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Adoption

• The Girls Who Went Away is a GREAT book! It opened my eyes to my moms generation and what REALLY happened!!

Best wishes on your mission!!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• whatever.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• what's with the "whatever." response? Just wondering.
    Anonymous

• I was wondering the same thing.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• this is the lady that likes to stir up drama lol more than trying to "reform" anything.
    Anonymous

• Ignore the rude "whatever" comment, I can suggest many things for you to do. There are several groups that works towards adoption reform that you might want to check out: Ethica, American Adoption Congress and the Evan B. Donaldson Institute. The best way to reform adoption is to educate the world of the need for change. Right now, many people are clueness about why adoption needs reforms.

Write if you can and spread the word any way that you know how. If you read a news article with glaring misinformation, write and educate the writer. Welcome to the adoption reform movement....we need all the help we can get!
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• the whatever is because this person always stirs up drama. Anyone who has read my posts knows that I usually am very fair both directions. This person likes to create drama where ever she goes. But I am sorry that you see to be recently widowed OP. No one should loose a spouse so soon.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• For the OP.. I don't know your background.

Have you surrendered a child to adoption, are you an adoptee or an adoptive parent? Mostly 'reform' talk is from the perspective of which role you have played within.

More than 'reform' the current system needs a total 'demolition' and then a 'rebuild'. JMO!
    I am a mother who surrendered my newborn via very coercive, abusive and discriminatory adoption practices, circa 1964.

BTW...FYI...I am one of the mothers in Ann Fessler's book..and soon there will be a documentary film incorporating the 'voices' from our audio taped interviews.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think she is a fake
    Anonymous

• If I had just recently became a widow I know I wouldn't be all cheery.
    Anonymous