Conceiving at 40

Anyone out there TRYING to get pregnant at 40+? Any problems/advice? We lost our son to Trisomy 18 December 2007. And we just started trying to get pregnant again in December. Not pregoo this month - pretty disappointed!!!!

texas1997

Asked by texas1997 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Lots of luck and prayers to you and yours. Not me, I am 44 and have done everything I can to prevent it. But I understand why you would and support you for that. Let us know when you conceive!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Good Luck! You are in my prayers!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 7:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We weren't trying, but after 14 years of not using birth control, I found out I was pregnant. At 41 I had my 3rd baby. Then a few months later, surprise!... I had baby #4 two weeks after my 42nd birthday! They are 12 mos. apart. We now have a 24, 17, 3 & 2 yr old! I'll be praying that God blesses you with your heart's desire!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My mom had been trying to have another baby from the time she was 35 and then finally gave up into her late 40s. Two months before her 50th birthday her periods stopped. She thought she was going through menapouse. Three days after her birthday she found out she was having my little brother. God works in mysterious ways. I think when you relax and give him all the glory for greating life and pray about it. Pray hard. God answers prayers.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I'm sorry for your loss. I am too trying to conceive. I will be 40 in April and each time I get my period I feel so miserable. Good luck to you. I am trying to relax, but thats all I can think about.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am so excited to be getting replies do quick! I never dreamed after divorcing at 37 that I would marry the love of my life and want a baby. When we got pregnant the first time with Trey the one that died it was an accident - but, I was so excited and couldn't wait. I know a baby will never replace the one I lost and I know I already have 2 beautiful sons - I feel selfish for wanting a baby at my age. We have so much to offer and so much love to give. I FINALLY dont have to work and can be home full time. I hate reading all the info on the web about fertility in your 40's - thank you so much for all the well wishes and positive stories - please keep them coming!!!!!!! This site was a great help for me during the loss of Trey and I just got back into it as we are trying to conceive again! My husband has NO children of his own, but is amazing with my two teen boys.
    texas1997

Answer by texas1997 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First, I am SO sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking. I will be 40 in February and am TTC. I have twin boys who are now 16 months old. The twins were conceived via IVF, so I had thought they were going to be my only children. Then, just before last Halloween, I found out I was pregnant! Talk about surprise! But I had a miscarriage two weeks later. Since then, I've been driving myself nuts - AF is due tomorrow, and I'm spotting now, so I'm disappointed, too. There is a group on CM called 40+ TTC or Pregnant Moms. You might want to check them out, or feel free to PM me.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am 42 and just experienced my 2nd miscarriage about 3 weeks ago. My first m/c was May 08 and my first pregnancy ever (at 41). I'm getting ready to go straight IVF as my first pg was with clomid and IUI and the most recent one was naturally (and unexpectedly I might add as we weren't trying!). Neither pg made it past 6 weeks gestation.

Our plan is to have PGD testing (pre-implantation genetic disease testing) prior to putting embryo's back in so that only the "good" ones go in. Suppose to reduce the chance of miscarriage but unfortunately insurance doesn't cover and is about $4,500. I think it's worth it both psychologically and time wise as with every m/c takes about 5 months from start to trying again as the doc.s usually want to wait 2 cycles after the m/c before trying treatment again.

lookingahead

Answer by lookingahead at 4:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009