What can cause irregular periods?

After years of regular periods, mine no longer are. When I say regular I don't mean I could count the seconds till they would start but I had it down to a 3-day window. Now I will go as long as 6 weeks from day 1 to day 1.
In November I had a 3-week (20 day) period. No joke. More like I spotted for 10 days, bled for 5, spotted for 5 then stopped. I have not had a period since and i'm getting worried. I had my tubes tied when my son was born so I am 99.999% sure I'm not pregnant- plus the test I took was negative. Any thoughts?

atmomma

Asked by atmomma at 7:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Health

• stress. or maybe the whole getting your tubes tied could have caused it.
    Anonymous

• I forgot to mention that my son was born in June 2005 and I'm only now doing this. Could it take that long to mess my cycles up?
    atmomma

Answer by atmomma at 8:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have PCOS and that causes my irregular periods. I had a 8 month long period once that was awful. Before I found out PCOS was what I had, drs would say I was on the wrong birth control, stress, changes in diet. I hope you figure it out, I know having crazy periods is no fun :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 8:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Stress, PCOS, preimenopause, STD's. The list is long. See you GYN. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I had/have a similar problem. Mine said its because I'm fat...She put it a little nicer..."your body doesnt want you to carry even more weight". They put me on BC, my tubes are tied, that didn't work to fix it....So I am losing weight and hopefully that will help......Are you overweight? I agree with PP, go get an ultrasound to be sure nothing is wrong. I've done that twice now and nothing is wrong in there.
    thats_karma

Answer by thats_karma at 8:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• That could be alot of things. My suggestion would be to go see an OBGYN or GYN. Depending on your age, it could be change of life ready to kick in, Stress, change in habits. OR It could be something more serious like cysts (sp) problems with your uterus. anything.
    shiningstar75

Answer by shiningstar75 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! I don't feel particularly stressed, or at least I've been WAY more stressed before and never had a problem. I don't know what PCOS but I'm gonna look it up. Thankfully my insurance just kicked in so I'm planning on making an appt. I'm only 25 so the thought of early menopause worries me. I remember reading recenntly that tubal ligation can cause early menopause. And yes, you could call me overweight. Thanks again ladies!
    atmomma

Answer by atmomma at 8:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009