Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fertility Doctors

How do I go about getting a fertility doctor, and what is it that I will have to go through to conceive? Are they covered by most insurance companies?

Answer Question

Asked by Yve538 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 3 (15 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I had to get a referral from my regular OB. Depending on why you are seeing them and your insurance, they may or may not be covered. Mine was covered only because I was not getting help for getting pregnant, but I was getting help to stay pregnant after recurrent miscarriage.
    You may want to just find a good one in your area and call and see if they will get you in for a consult. A referral may not be necessary. Depending on your problem, you may have to go through any number of things to get pregnant. For me, all I needed was a prescription for Clomid, but my regular OB gave me that. Best of luck.

    Answer by AlliO2 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • Hi. My ob/gyn was also a fertility specialist. They can do some of the basics right there. IF you need more intricate procedures, then I guess they would refer it out. Start with your gynecologist.

    Answer by Scimecamommy at 8:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • I started with my OB, and after a few tests she referred me to a fertility specialist. I don't know what is standard, but my insurance covered testing to determine problems pretty well. Only a small amout of very limited procedures were covered by my insurance, and no fertility meds were covered at all. There are many different procedures and fertility drugs that can be used to help you get pregnant. The cost of procedures and medications range from very little to a whole lot. It is impossible to tell you what procedures or drugs you will need to get pregnant, but a fertility doctor can help you determine what your problem is and go over treatment costs and options that are best for you. My doctor was very good to explain all the options and the odds of success with each option.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • i know, it's so hard to know what the cost will be. if you've never gone, you really can't imagine. i'll tell you about mine, just to give you an idea. my insurance covered nothing, so we had to pay out of pocket. we did 4 rounds of iui (intrauterine insemination) and all told it cost us about $3500.00 to conceive our twins. however, if you end up needing different meds it could be more, and if you need in-vitro fertilization it will be A LOT more (for me it would've cost about $15,000.00 per try). these prices are just an example, and if your insurance covers some it wouldn't be as bad. but i would really recommend that you go see a fertility specialist and let them assess your specific situation. good luck.

    Answer by tstep972 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.