Son's quirks...could they be something more?

My son is a very intelligent 12 year old. When he was 2, he started having issues with the seams in his socks. If they didn't feel right, he would not wear them. Then there was the issue of one food not touching another food on his plate. There are other things, he won't learn to ride a bike, roller skate or skateboard. He did take karate and was very good with his balance, but he has the fear of falling and since he can not master the skill the first time, he will no longer try. He is just now learning to swim. He doesn't like his head touched, is bothered if people don't eat correctly and many other "non-important" things. I thought that some of this was age, insecurity and lack of control in his life, but now I'm starting to think it's something more. Any ideas?

sammy12868

Asked by sammy12868 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't know.. I'm kind of the same way. Maybe you could just casually mention these things to his physician just in case, but maybe he's just not comfortable in certain situations.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Weird I've had those EXACT same issues my whole life..it's OCD.
    Anonymous

• He might have OCD. The thing about swimming. I never learned to swim and I'm in my 40's. Their is a lot of kids that don't ride a bike, skate board or roller skate. I don't think that is abnormal. But the rest, Well that might be OCD or something else to get checked out.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Right off the bat you may want to look into Sensory Processing Disorder. I think the book is "Out of sync child." Pretty much everything you listed makes sense to a child with SPD. The sock seams, fear of movement, touch etc..

My son for example is 6 and would not use swings and was very nervous if you lifted his feed off the ground or tried to have him roll etc...Turns out he has problems with his vestibular system. Going to OT therapy and things like that have changed him dramatically.

Also if may be worth looking into Asperger syndrome etc...if there are other things. Nothing here set off an alarm, but just in case. Does he have obsessions, rigidness, social issues etc...? A lot of aspies are missed until their tween/teen years. Many aspies have SPD as well.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i was thinking maybe autisim, or aspergers, but reading the other responces, ocd sounds like maybe a possibility too, talk to his dr
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 8:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well, I don't like my food touching other food on my plate either. And the sock seam thing...I'm not sure what you mean by "don't feel right", but I know I've bought socks before where the seam would sit under my toes and was uncomfortable to walk on, so I wouldn't wear them. So, it might be nothing. I would mention all of your concerns to his ped, and ask what it could mean. Oh, and also, the not liking his head touched, I hate it if people touch my toes. Sometimes people do just have some weird quirks and they're nothing. Talk to his ped. That's the best way to get the best answer. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am not sure if I see OCD guys....

OCD is a disorder that causes your brain to be flooded by repetative thoughts etc..that results in complusive behavior. None of what the OP said screams OCD to me.

Not only have a read up about a lot of special needs because of my son, but I also actually have OCD/anxiety. Those things listed to me obviously show a Sensory Processing Disorder problem. Many adults have these issues and assume it's something else because they have never heard of the disorder.

I would definitely recommend the OP to look at my previous post and get that book or google "SPD," I think it might be the start to an answer she is looking for.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I hate the sound of people chewing. I hate my foods touching each other. I won't take a trip because I have a fear of heights. I myself won't ride a bike out of fear of falling. Trust me I know how he feels and have no clue why I have these issues. I won't go inside a bank. I drive around town searching for a drive up window. I need a tv on at night to go to sleep. The list goes on and on.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• it might be ocd but when my brother was younger he did not like it when his food touched either, i think that's normal
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have a boy in 7th grade that lives next door. He also has similar issues to your sons. He saw several specialists/therapists and they finally diagnosed him with Aspergers Syndrome. Along with this disorder often comes Sensory Processing problems that can best be treated by an Occupational Therapist either privately or through your school system. They can train you and his teachers in techniques that will help him regulate his sensory system. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2009