How often should you bathe a newborn?

He is three weeks old. I have been giving him baths every two or three days. Is that too much? Too little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can bath him every day if you want to. It won't hurt him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have heard as often as everyday or as little as once a week. I personally gave my son a bath every other day unless he just got dirty and needed one more often. It is pretty much a personal decison I think.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• it sounds just about right. newborns don't get dirty too often, just bathe him when he IS dirty. that's what i was told to do...
    Anonymous

• I bathed my children every other day. I found that (especially in the winter) there skin became very dry if I bathed them every day. If there was a day where they were pucky smelling than I would bathe them but if they weren't than I would wait till the next day.
    shiningstar75

Answer by shiningstar75 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Only if his cord has fallen off! I have given mine a bath every other day. According to pedi, tha't;s enough because their skin is so sensitive and thats all they need. Just sponge bath on the off days with some moisturizer and he should be good.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I bathe our son daily, as part of his bedtime routine. I don't think he needs to be bathed that often--he doesn't get that dirty! But it has become a signal that it's time to wind down and get ready for sleep. I don't use much soap at all, though, and only shampoo him every 2-3 days to avoid drying his skin out--and I massage him with lotion after his bath. Honestly, bathing your baby once every few days to once a week is probably plenty.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009